• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Narrowbanding Updates, Info, & Licensee Resource Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbruark

David - Did you happen to see the following on the page you referenced?

"The purpose of this site is to provide an accurate, up-to-date, informative, meaningful, and vendor/agenda neutral resource for all Part 90 VHF and UHF licensees. Thank you for sharing this site with other two way radio system users."

I have deliberately refrained from promoting (read "advertising") the name of the company responsible for providing the site in an effort to adhere to the vendor/agenda neutral aspect mentioned.

The site is a personal effort to "get the word out" to ALL Part 90 VHF/UHF licensees regarding the Jan 1, 2013 FCC's Narrowbanding Mandate.

Cheers,

Nick Ruark

D

DaveNF2G

Failing to disclose your connection to a business that you are promoting in a non-commercial venue is unethical.

AlanTilles

Failing to disclose your connection to a business that you are promoting in a non-commercial venue is unethical.

While I would generically agree with you, I don't think that Nick has done anything nefarious here. In fact, I would think that you'd thank him for trying to put together so much narrowbanding information in a neutral fashion. I don't see anywhere where he says something like "XYZ's radios are better for narrowbanding than ABCs" or "these guys provide the best radio programming services."

I have lots of disagreements with Nick. This isn't one of them.

While Nick's site is devoid of commerical information, I've tried to take the opposite route toward neutrality. I went to all of the significant manufacturers and consultants (and trade associations to boot), and gave them the opportunity to participate in a neutral site that would (hopefully) cut through the saleman misleading people and other misinformation that has occurred. Plus, I just added an RSS feed.

NarrowbandingLaw

Alan S. Tilles, Esquire
Shulman Rogers Gandal Pordy & Ecker, P.A.
Law Firm, Attorneys - Maryland, Washington, DC, Virginia - Shulman Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.