• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

NASCAR!!! Favorite driver, track, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

flythunderbird

Premium Subscriber
Bill Elliott!!

Favorite driver: Bill Elliott, Coors #9 Ford!!!

Favorite track: Used to be Daytona and Talladega, until NASCAR implemented the infernal RESTRICTOR PLATE and took the driving skill out of it. :mad: The cars needed to be slowed down, but the plate is the worst way to do it. Anyway, I can't say that I have a 'favorite' now, although I've always liked Bristol.

Best NASCAR experience ... well, it would have to be the fall race at Charlotte back in 1989. Went down with a buddy for the weekend; I'd been to Winston Cup races before, but he'd never been to one. I had written a letter to the track ticket office a couple of months earlier requesting pit passes, not expecting to get them - but lo and behold, a few weeks later I got a reply stating that they had reserved two pit passes for me at no charge! Try doing that THESE days. :D We picked them up at the ticket office on Sunday morning and headed for the pits.

We were stupid and didn't know where what we were going once we were on pit road, so we lined up with what turned out to be a group from a corporate sponsor. The next thing we knew, we were in the GARAGE - and nobody questioned us being there. OMG, we couldn't believe it when we realized where we were, as there was a security fence between the pits and the garage. Saw Davey Allison, Richard Childress, Richard Petty (who was eating a very early lunch and offered us some!), Dale Earnhardt, Dave Marcis, Bill Elliott (briefly talked to Bill, he was sitting in the door of his transporter taking a break), Brett Bodine, I seem to remember Bud Moore, and I don't remember who else now. We watched the teams working on the cars, and we watched a couple of cars go through pre-race inspection. We also got to walk around all of the race car haulers. Sometime later, we made the mistake of walking out the gate on the other side of the garage ... and they wouldn't let us back in because our passes weren't for the garage. Rats! But we spent more time walking up and down pit road, taking in everything we could. It was a BLAST. I have photos somewhere. I don't remember who won the race, but I'll never forget our "accidental garage tour." :cool: TV from the pits does not do a race track justice. You have to see things for yourself from pit road with the fans in the stands at a big track. It is absolutely incredible.

Great thread - and thanks for the walk down memory lane!

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Favorite driver: Bill Elliott, Coors #9 Ford!!!

Favorite track: Used to be Daytona and Talladega, until NASCAR implemented the infernal RESTRICTOR PLATE and took the driving skill out of it. :mad: The cars needed to be slowed down, but the plate is the worst way to do it. Anyway, I can't say that I have a 'favorite' now, although I've always liked Bristol.

Best NASCAR experience ... well, it would have to be the fall race at Charlotte back in 1989. Went down with a buddy for the weekend; I'd been to Winston Cup races before, but he'd never been to one. I had written a letter to the track ticket office a couple of months earlier requesting pit passes, not expecting to get them - but lo and behold, a few weeks later I got a reply stating that they had reserved two pit passes for me at no charge! Try doing that THESE days. :D We picked them up at the ticket office on Sunday morning and headed for the pits.

We were stupid and didn't know where what we were going once we were on pit road, so we lined up with what turned out to be a group from a corporate sponsor. The next thing we knew, we were in the GARAGE - and nobody questioned us being there. OMG, we couldn't believe it when we realized where we were, as there was a security fence between the pits and the garage. Saw Davey Allison, Richard Childress, Richard Petty (who was eating a very early lunch and offered us some!), Dale Earnhardt, Dave Marcis, Bill Elliott (briefly talked to Bill, he was sitting in the door of his transporter taking a break), Brett Bodine, I seem to remember Bud Moore, and I don't remember who else now. We watched the teams working on the cars, and we watched a couple of cars go through pre-race inspection. We also got to walk around all of the race car haulers. Sometime later, we made the mistake of walking out the gate on the other side of the garage ... and they wouldn't let us back in because our passes weren't for the garage. Rats! But we spent more time walking up and down pit road, taking in everything we could. It was a BLAST. I have photos somewhere. I don't remember who won the race, but I'll never forget our "accidental garage tour." :cool: TV from the pits does not do a race track justice. You have to see things for yourself from pit road with the fans in the stands at a big track. It is absolutely incredible.

Great thread - and thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Very nice!! 👍

I have been a racing fan (not just stock car) for all of my life. Although I still ocassionally watch the races, the Winston/Nextel/Sprint Cup has become too much of a glitzy, politicalized, high buck show. I finally had it when the president (it was Bush Jr then) visited the radio broadcast (MRN or PRN, I forget) and started babbling while the race was going on. I'll keep my politics away from my enjoyment of the sport, thanks. Anyway the best stock car racing experiences are usually found at local "sportsman" tracks. My favorite is Riverhead in NY. You get a lot closer to the action and get to meet the players on a more personal level. Of course for a more exotic, higher end racing experience take a look at international Formula 1. That is on a whole different level. OK, well since this is a NASCAR nostalgia thread let me get back to that and say my favorite driver of all time was Cale e Yarborou. If I had to pick a current driver I would pick Dale Jr. Not necessarily because of his driving (which is as good as anyone else) but because of his stance against racism.
Frank
P.S., what was lost sometimes behind just got great a competitor Dale Sr. was, is that he also took a very unpopular stance (in the NASCAR world that is) against racism.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Going to the Dover race in October again!! Went in May 2015 to Dover as well. NASCAR I gotta tell you is still the same ( prior to May I went), but there are subtitle differences. I always have gotten the Monster Mile Club pass. The commenities are skimpy now. Not like it used too.

Favorite track: Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway. (The old flat half mile before the reconfiguration to 3/4 mile it is now.) Darrell and Dale Sr beating and banging for 400 laps and then calling each other every name in the book when the race was over. Favorite driver: Tim Richmond. Drove his car the way he wanted to, and said what he wanted whether NASCAR like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.