National Cherry Festival/Blue Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg750

Hi all,

The 80th National Cherry Festival will be starting this coming Saturday in Traverse City. Should be some good listening for those of you in the area...things get a little busy when over a quarter of a million people inundate our town for a week. Also, the U.S. Navy Blue Angels will be present again this year for a couple of days (arriving sometime on the 27th or 28th, practicing the 29th and 30th, show is on the 1st and 2nd) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good, reliable source for frequency information for these guys. I've found a coulple sites, but it's either too much to sort through or scetchy looking info. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

G

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
GG, do you happen to know any freqs for NCF portables? I know they rent their radios, and can't find anything registered in the FCC database! I'm hoping you can save me some time rather than searcing the UHF bands.

Thanks,

Nick

(btw, heard some action on 237.8 today, and something weak on 143.0) Hope that helps!

gg750

I might be able to dig up a few. The company I work for is somewhat involved with the fest and they have a float in the parades. I know they were issued portables last year, but I didn't have a chance to get the freqs off them. I'll try to "borrow" one for a little while this week and see if I can figure them out.

I heard 2 BA freqs yesterday while they were practicing...273.300 (or 237.800) were the two solos, and 284.250 for the diamond group. I picked those up from my 2nd floor apartment near East Bay. However, I happen to be in an area they fly right over when turning around for another maneuver. There is probably more to hear near the airport. Speaking of the airport, I noticed that they don't let you get anywhere near them this year. They used to let you past the outer fence at the CG station and walk up to the inner fence. Sometimes, the pilots would stop over and talk to the kids. This year, you can't get past the outer fence, and their designated viewing area is in the back corner, where you really can't see squat. Why did they start doing that?

G

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Paranoia? TSA? I have no idea. It's a matter of National Security, because the Blue Angels carry all those 'dangerous weapons' on their wings! pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.