National Western Stock show

Status
Not open for further replies.

1clo1

Im looking to monitor the Show and see that the frequencies have been posted here already, now before i go programming these im my scanner i wanted to know what the "R" behind the frequencies meant?

Can any one tell me?

CONVENTIONAL FREQUENCIES (monitorable about 5-10 miles from the event, they have changed communications system providers)
Security 463.6875R
Command Center - Police 462.425R? not verified
Volunteers 451.5625R
Shuttle Buses 452.0625R
Maintenance 461.625R
Parking operations 452.6875R
Livestock area 452.425

Thanks

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Program them in as you see them. Those should be the repeater output freqs. You'll have a better signal from the repeater channels than you might have trying to pick up the portable units individually anyway.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Depends upon your scanner. Some can do proximity scans and you might pick up a few that way if you're near someone who is on the talk button . But again, the repeaters will give you signal where you might miss them from handhelds. It's a big space.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget Denver Police and Fire (believe the EMS is contracted to a private) use some EDACS TG's during the stock show every year as well.

Jim<

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I know some scanners (like the 396XT) have a "repeater finder" function which switches between a repeater input and output frequency based on a preprogrammed table.

It's my understanding that repeater input and output frequencies are typically configured in "pairs" with fixed offset values, and you should be able to find the input frequencies from a cross-reference table for each band/frequency pair.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I marked the repeater frequencies, so you could know which freqs are repeated. The repeated freqs are monitorable 5-10 miles from the site, and the non-repeated (simplex) channels won't be heard more than a mile (or even less) from the site.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
Just program the freq as listed. If you wanted to listen to the repeater input freqs in addition, add 5.0 MHz to the listed repeater freq, but you don't necessarily have to program them. Scanners don't have an offset capability.

1clo1

Just program the freq as listed. If you wanted to listen to the repeater input freqs in addition, add 5.0 MHz to the listed repeater freq, but you don't necessarily have to program them. Scanners don't have an offset capability.

I have a radio with the transmit disabled to prevent accidental transmission that i am scanning with thats why i wanted the input freqs. so if the freq that i want to monitor is 461.625R what would be + 5.0 mhz just so i understand how it works would it be 466.625?

Last edited:

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Still not sure why one would want to monitor the input side. It's all included on the repeater output, and at a significantly better power level. Does the OP understand the concept of repeaters? Perhaps we're confusing him here?

1clo1

Still not sure why one would want to monitor the input side. It's all included on the repeater output, and at a significantly better power level. Does the OP understand the concept of repeaters? Perhaps we're confusing him here?

What's confusing to me is why I come here for information and the reply is " I don't understand why" I always thought that this forum was to help people understand things better and not badger or question everything because its not what you would do or whatever. Can someone help me clarify the purpose of the forums let me know if I'm in the wrong place to ask questions and get information.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
For starters, input/output pairs -- while sometimes laid out in such neat offsets -- very often aren't. So while you can try what is described, it may or may not work for you.

My "why" was in case you were unfamiliar with repeater operation, and I was attempting (evidently unsuccessfully) to be helpful. Since your overall objectives are still an unknown for us, and we do not know enough to qualify your experience level, what we're trying to do is help you meet your objective without really knowing what it is. It is, in fact, a fairly rare thing to need to monitor in the manner in which you seem headed, and as we have no idea as to why you might be trying to do it that way, we've been trying to answer your immediate questions of input/output offsets while at the same time trying to direct you to something we hope will better meet your objectives.

If you had described some unique requirement from the outset, I might not have tried to steer you away from input channel monitoring. As another example of how in the dark we still are -- we don't know if you will be trying to monitor on site or from some considerable distance away, and that matters a lot to any advice given.

ecanderson

Premium Subscriber
Let me add ...

You said "I have a radio with the transmit disabled to prevent accidental transmission that i am scanning with thats why i wanted the input freqs."

Having a *transceiver* vs. receiver for MONITORING NWSS traffic will not change the advice you would receive about the best frequencies to use for that monitoring. It all works the same way regardless of the receiver you are using, although again, we don't know your proximity to the site or other details about what you are hoping to accomplish that might cause us to tailor our responses differently.

HOWEVER, knowing now that it is a transceiver you will be using, your insistence on knowing the input channel frequencies makes me (and I'm sure others here as well) somewhat uncomfortable. I hope you can understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.