Nationwide EAS Test Wednesday (Sept. 28, 2016) at 12:20 PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
This is an interesting thread. Is there a decent PC client available capable of monitoring EAS, CAP, etc? I sure would like to see these on my desktop rather than standing by my Weather Alert radio. And, I don't necessarily feel safe depending on local media to break away from their commercials.

I do get WEAs on my phone (i understand phones weren't part of the test).

I did get a single alert from my cable provider, yesterday.

Thanks,
Russell

Last edited:

CrabbyMilton

NOAA radio is set up for civil/national disaster warnings and would imagine that they could plug in wall to wall news coverage if something like that took place.
But then again, the system was never even used right after the attacks of 9-11-01.
Thanks to social media and 24/7 news networks, the info got out faster anyway.
That doesn't mean you can't and should have a proper system.

Haley

Hi Mike,

The EAN code was used in 2011.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn! NOW, if I could just figure out the NIC code. Just kidding, I do know what it stands for , but have never found a definitive answer as to WHO/WHAT it is. Mike

Haley

A couple web references to the National Information Center are as follows:

"The National Information Center, located off the 1st floor entrance to the Yates Building..."
Introduction

"National Information Center located at FBI Headquarters, Washington ! D. C."
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/34900185/

Shawn

Thanks Shawn, I have found some references to those over the years. But I am curious as to what kind of information they would actually broadcast, or send out. I have seen a reference before that it's tied into the banking system somehow. If that were true, maybe financial information? It is kind of enigma. It is a mandatory ,advisory level event code. BUT , it is also used to follow up an EAN----which to me , would make it seem pretty important. I get carried away on these I know, but like I said previously in the tread, it's an actual hobby of mine. Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.