Nationwide EAS Test Wednesday (Sept. 28, 2016) at 12:20 PM MST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

I'm always interested in the EAS and SAME event codes , it's actually a separate radio hobby of mine. Now I have to ask , did anybody catch it today??? At least in my location I had nothing , not the local radio stations and none of my weather radios. I have been waiting almost 5 years for this 2nd one ( sad, I know). Anyway the event code would have been NPT , National Periodic Test. Just curious if anyone had any luck. Mike

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Yes, heard on 2 AM stations and then over on one FM I checked. Audio quality was pretty good (much better than the last national test).
Also listened to NOAA WX radio and no test (but I don't think it was planned to be on NWR either).

Haley

Thanks for the report thunderknight. I was under the impression it would be on the NOAA radios also. Maybe I was wrong. I knew that the WEA would not be tested (cell phones etc.). Thanks again for the report , Mike

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Local tv stations? Heard nothing at that time on any local ota stations. Nothing on my phone either. 73, n9zas

Haley

Local tv stations? Heard nothing at that time on any local ota stations. Nothing on my phone either. 73, n9zas

The phones were not part of the test , this time. However your local TV stations should have had the test. I am having a hard time finding any info if the test went as planned or not. Seems like it was hit and miss, again. Even the FEMA site had a clock showing the time of the test for at least the last couple of weeks, that was replaced with a hurricane reporting story. Thanks for your report, Mike

Haley

Cmjonesinc, thank you for the info----my dad saw it in the Asheville area on TV. Mike

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Heard it on SiriusXM.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
They MUST active cell phones during an actual national emergency. Who listens to FM/AM radio or watches TV all day long? lol.

SCPD

QRT
I cought it on A&E via DirecTV, the EAS data bursts were there but no audio announcing the test while it was running but did not have a chance to check the local radio and TV stations because I forgot about it. Stations need to report to the FCC online what worked and what didn't. FEMA is considering replacing the local monthly EAS test to a NPT country wide test and that's a good idea for engineers to make sure thier EAS gear is working and getting FEMA to figure it out. This test originated from the IPAWS and CAP servers. EAS has a good tool to warn the public, but the darn National Weather Service has a ton of watch/warning EAS codes so thank you for SAME technology to filter only events that are really important. NWS has too many event codes that could be eliminated and combined with other ones..

CrabbyMilton

I heard it was going to take place but forgot specifically when. It came thru flawlessly on the commercial AM radio station I was listening to at the time while driving.
Here in WI., when they test the EMS, it sounds like they are on a WWII handheld radio deep in a basement someplace. :)

Haley

Thanks for all the reports everyone! I guess for the most part it was a success then? I caught the previous one 5 years ago , and was all set up to record this one. And got nothing in my area (Central Iowa). I should add I was not near a TV at the time, but had my local radio station and weather radios ready. Interesting hearing everyone's reports. Mile

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
.Here in WI., when they test the EMS, it sounds like they are on a WWII handheld radio deep in a basement someplace. :)

Lol so true..

Different system, but, there was just a story here in NY about the WEA (Wireless Emergency Alerts)

Schumer to FCC: Emergency alert system stuck in the 1990s

A federal alert system used when the Chelsea bombing suspect was on the run earlier this month is stuck in the 1990s and needs to be updated to include photographs, New York’s senior senator said Sunday.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) lamented at a midtown Manhattan news conference that the Wireless Emergency Alert system, which texted messages to millions of New Yorkers about Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28, is limited to 90 characters and didn’t provide the suspect’s image.

The text message read only, “WANTED: Ahmad Khan Rahami, 28-yr-old male. See media for pic. Call 9-1-1 if seen.”

Schumer added that he learned in a recent FBI briefing that Rahami likely acted alone in the New York and New Jersey attacks and wasn’t “urged” to plant bombs by a terrorist group.

That is not to say that someone else wasn’t aware of Rahami’s intentions and that the suspect wasn’t inspired by a group such as the Islamic State, Schumer said.

He said he was told that authorities haven’t yet been able to interview Rahami because he remains hospitalized and is “in and out of consciousness.”

He called on the Federal Communications Commission to revamp the Wireless Emergency Alert system, including expanding the number of characters to 360 from 90, embedding phone numbers and URLs, and including photographs and multimedia.

Representatives for the FCC did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“In this era of Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat, our wireless emergency alert system needs to get as smart as our phones and be updated, so it can deliver photos and other media that has information that can save lives,” Schumer said.

The lawmaker acknowledged that other factors, not the text alerts, led to the capture of Rahami. But Schumer questioned whether the suspect could have been caught sooner if the system were modernized.

ScannerSK

The test was originated this time via IPAWS which if I am correct is an internet or IP based alerting system. If a radio station has not updated their equipment to the newer CAP/IPAWS systems they may have missed the alerts.

The test came through loud and clear on 850 KOA in Denver, CO which is the National Primary station for Colorado and also one of the Primary Entry Points (PEP) for the country. It also came across 91.5 FM KUNC in Greeley, CO which is the Local Primary station for my county.

If anyone would like a recording of the alert just message me your e-mail address.

Shawn

SCPD

QRT
The test was originated this time via IPAWS which if I am correct is an internet or IP based alerting system. If a radio station has not updated their equipment to the newer CAP/IPAWS systems they may have missed the alerts.

The test came through loud and clear on 850 KOA in Denver, CO which is the National Primary station for Colorado and also one of the Primary Entry Points (PEP) for the country. It also came across 91.5 FM KUNC in Greeley, CO which is the Local Primary station for my county.

If anyone would like a recording of the alert just message me your e-mail address.

Shawn

That's a problem. Internet goes down no IPAWS or CAP, just the PEP stations. During a major incident I have a hunch the Internet will be saturated and possible outages. Radio and TV stations were to have upgraded their EAS equipment to be able to receipt the NPT CODE OF 000000 per the FCC.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for all the reports everyone! I guess for the most part it was a success then? I caught the previous one 5 years ago , and was all set up to record this one. And got nothing in my area (Central Iowa). I should add I was not near a TV at the time, but had my local radio station and weather radios ready. Interesting hearing everyone's reports. Mile

The previous test with the audio and EAS header issues caused some stations experiencing double or no audio. One of the PEP stations (WCCO-AM in Minneapolis), had a hardware failure which screwed up the bridge from FEMA. That's why they are TESTS, as it gives engineers at radio/TV stations and the Feds to work out any bugs in case if an EAN is sent by the President, and if that happens the s**t is going to hit the fan.

Haley

Interesting thread guys, I agree I think in a real scenario, radio might be the last form of media standing. Just off hand does anyone know or remember from the 2011 test what the event code was??? I was pretty sure at that time they used an EAN code. I could be wrong though. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.