Nationwide test of the wireless emergency alert & emergency alert systems on 9/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipfd320

Banned
Nationwide test of the wireless emergency alert & emergency alert systems on 9/20/18

FCC Notice--Posted on July 20th,2018

PUBLIC SAFETY AND HOMELAND SECURITY BUREAU ANNOUNCES
NATIONWIDE TEST OF THE WIRELESS EMERGENCY ALERT AND
EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEMS ON SEPTEMBER 20, 2018

PS Docket Nos. 15-91, 15-94

Today, the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC or Commission) provides notice to all Participating Commercial
Mobile Service (CMS) Providers,

Emergency Alert System (EAS) Participants, and to the public that, as
described below, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in coordination with the FCC,
will conduct a nationwide combined test of the Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA) and EAS on September
20, 2018, with a back-up date of October 3, 2018

More Info can be Found Here---> https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-754A1.pdf

Blink962

What do they actually do on these test?
(Sorry just saw the link disregard post question)

Last edited:

jackj

I love the way our government lists the initials right after the names of departments. They should do the same thing for common words (TSDTSTFCW). Then they could use just a letter instead of the whole word.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
ATSC 3.0 will incorporate Advanced Emergency Alerting, it will wake up sleeping devices to Alert You to Emergency Broadcasts and is LOCALY targeted so you only get Alerts in your area. ATSC 3.0 also provides 4K HDR HDTV as well as Internet Broadband both for FREE. ATSC 3.0 can even connect to Tablets, Laptops, Smatphones.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Last one I recall several on us were on the airport shuttle and had no prior warning. Needless to say some short anxious moment wondering until the verbal started. All of the phones came on alert together.
Appreciate the lead time on this one. :)

K2RNI

Last one I recall several on us were on the airport shuttle and had no prior warning. Needless to say some short anxious moment wondering until the verbal started. All of the phones came on alert together.
Appreciate the lead time on this one. :)

I got woken up by one of those once as well, I nearly hit the ceiling. I had my BCT15x Uniden on Weather Alert mode and unfortunately you can't filter out tests or select what kind of warnings it goes off for like my Whistler WS1040. Despite the volume knob the thing goes full blast too and it's a heck of a lot louder than my WR120 weather radio. On the plus side I know it works very well now, I'd probably be able to hear it from outside in the front yard which is nice though I have the Whistler handheld now. I just gotta make sure to periodically check when the tests are scheduled so I'm ready for the siren blast or can turn the scanner to something else temporarily.

The emergency alert test this year is not supposed to be using any cellular Mobile phones. It should be using only the ipaws system, PBS network, possibly legacy AM PEP Daisy chains. Rumour has it that the federal government never gave funding to the National Weather Service for NOAA Weather Radio to participate in any Nationwide alert, despite the radios being designed for that! If anybody actually receives a NOAA Weather Radio e a s npt, please report it here.

ipfd320

Banned
Johnny---This was the Latest Release--I Myself Participated Via Online for the FCC Meeting on WEA / EAS and Ipaws---and this is Going to be Implimented on whats Listed in the Press Release I Posted

As on Your Posting can You please Post to Us where you got this Information From to Enlighten the Community

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking about going to Costco and wait for the alert to be sent to all the phones in the area :p
or any other place with lots of people/phones will work too!

A test of broadcast systems will happen at 2:18 p.m. EDT. (11:18 am pacific time)

The message will be broadcast by cell towers for 30 minutes, so it's possible some people may get it at a different time. The alerts will sound as long as the device is turned on — even if it's on mute or do not disturb, and it may also appear on smart watches, officials said.

A second alert on television broadcast and radio will go off at 2:20 p.m. EDT. The TV and radio alert has been tested for several years.

They expect about 75 percent of all wireless users to get the alert.

https://twitter.com/fema

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nationwide+test
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nationwide+test&source=lnms&tbm=nws

ipfd320

Banned
The FCC Link is Posted in My Original Post wit All the Details

Just Remember This If You Dont get the WEA EAS Messages

Quote from Part of the Letter--->
All wireless providers that have elected to participate in WEA are required to participate in this nationwide test

This Means that Stations Who Have Elected Not to Carry the Message wont be Involved

Status
Not open for further replies.