NC Fleet Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
I’m wondering if the thing about duplicate site numbers is now coming into conflict with the database. There was a site added earlier this week for Monroe. This morning, Sauratown Mountain (which is site #8) is showing to be updated but shows to be in Union County instead of Stokes County where it is actually located and I don’t see the earlier Monroe site. Was it site #8 also. There several duplicate site numbers under the 219 system ID that have not been added to the database yet. When these sites get added, will the database be able to handle the duplicate site numbers?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
There actually seems to be two NC fleet talk systems with the same network ID as there can't be duplicate sites on a NEXEDGE system apperently. It seems that sites in Charlotte and surrounding area are on one network and the Triad/Triangle area and surrounding are on another.

Myself and a few others are working on figuring the system out and which site are on which network. Once we figure that out, I'm sure the DB will get back in order. Right now, we still have a lot on unknonwn sites, especially in the area from Greensboro over to Raleigh. There is a site in Garner, but I don't have the site number for that site yet. I'll be over that way soon so I will try to "fill in the blanks."

This is what I have so far, but some is based on older threads and such, so it may not be totally accurate. If anyone can help, that would be fantastic:

**It is possible that I may have some sites listed on the wrong network... the below are just my best guesses based on FCC data, my listening, and older threads about this system, as well as the RR DB.

"Network 1" - Northern NC

001 - Whitehead, Alleghany County
002 -
003 - ? *Neighbor to Sauratown Mountain (Morrow Mountain maybe?? Seems a bit far off though)
004 - Pores Knob, Wilkes County
005 - Greensboro, Guilford County
006 - Anderson Mountain, Catawba County?
007 - China Grove, Rowan County
008 - Sauratown Mountain, Stokes County
009 - Green Mountain, Alleghany County
010 - Randelman, Randolph County
011 - Winston-Salem GMAC building, Forsyth County (Formerly on Winston-Tower)
012 - Sualisbury, Rowan County
013 - ? *Neighbor to Suaratown Mountain
014 -
015 - ? *Neighbor to China Grove
016 -
017 -
018 -
019 -
020 -
021 - ? *Neighbor to China Grove
022 - Winston-Salem, Forsyth County FTCC
023 - Randolph County Area (Asheboro?)
024 - Broadway, Lee/Harnett line
(Not sure if there are higher numbers than site 24... it *could* go up to 30... I don't know.)

**The remaining blank sites are likely over closer to Raleigh as according to the Fleet talk coverage map, they have coverage as far east as around Nash County. However, their licenses are primarily not covered by Rock Communications or Mobile Communications, so licenses are difficult to find. They may be under Direct Call licenses, but it is near impossible to tell which belong to the NXDN network and which belong to their conventional trunked network since they don't seem to have updated their licenses to display the NXDN emission designator. The Greensboro and Randelman sites seem to *maybe* belong to the licensee Horne, Gregory S... not positive on that one.

"Network 2" - Southern NC

001 - Orr Rd, Mecklenburg
002 - Hearst Tower, Mecklenburg
003 - CHS Stanly County*
004 - Rock Hill, York SC
005 - South Charlotte, Mecklenburg
006 -
007 -
008 - Monroe, Union
009 -
010 -
011 -
012 -
013 - CMC Main, Mecklenburg
014 - CMC Mercy, Mecklenburg
015 - CHS North East, Cabarrus
016 - CHS University, Mecklenburg
017 - CHS Pineville, Mecklenburg
018 - CHS Lincoln, Lincoln
019 - CHS Waxhaw, Union
020 - CHS Union, Union
021 -
022 -
023 -
024 -
025 - Newport, York SC
026 -
027 -
028 - Crowders Mountain, Gaston
029 - Kings Mountain, Cleveland

*There is a site 3 on Morrow Mountain (or at least there was)… not sure to which network it
belongs to.

Again, the above is certainly not the gospel, just my best guess. :)

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Yes, a NEXEDGE system cannot have duplicate site numbers. Thus they would have to be two different systems with the same system ID. Site 8 is in Monroe. Or at least the one I updated for the NC system earlier this week is. That got switched yesterday it seems again. I think what we need first is a Wiki page here to plan out all the info that people find and then filter it into the database once it's confirmed and accurate we'll have a mess of sites changing as different people submit conflicting info.

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber
About the Site #3 and Morrow Mountain that I mentioned earlier in the thread, the site is not on Morrow Mountain but I did copy it from the parking lot when I was up there. With the elevation I was at, it could be anywhere in Central NC. There are 2 sites in the Triad that I have found, Site 13 with a CC of 461.9625 that I’m getting full-strength in western Greensboro on a 436 and Site 17 with a CC of 451.1250 that appears to be stronger around Winston-Salem.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I hear nothing at all on 451.125 or 461.9625 here in Western Forsyth, so if you are hearing it, than it is probably over towards Greensboro or High Point or even further east. If it was in Winston, I would hear it. My "drop off point" for UHF is around Kernersville; anything farther east is not easily copiable for me. I can hear sites several counties off like in Wilkes or Alleghany at strong signal strength however.

Searching the FCC database for 451.125 for the whole state only turns up one trunking license, but it is licensed to South River Electric. Searching for 461.9625 turns up only one trunked license as well, but it is for Duke Energy. It is proving difficult for finding licenses for the sites farther east....

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Well, all of the sites I am aware of are listed as trunking IIRC. I’ll take a look at the non-trunking ones again though...

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
That’s what I would recommend. I’ve seen more than my share of trunked systems on non trunking licenses. Mostly in the Capacity+ world. But you never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to a user over in Raleigh for providing me with an audio clip of a Fleet Talk site in Garner (Wake County). I ran it through DSD+ and it is giving site #7 leading me to think that the two Rowan County sites actually belong to the "Southern NC" network since China Grove is also site 007. I would guess that Saulisbury would be on the same network as China Grove, but that may not be right.

The Garner site is displaying neighboring sites 2, 14, 15, 24 (that has been identified as a site in Broadway, NC), and 25.

Here is my slightly modified best guess just for reference:

*Still unsure which network 006 - Anderson Mountain goes with.

"Network 1" - Northern NC

001 - Whitehead, Alleghany County
002 - ? *Neighbor to Garner
003 - ? *Neighbor to Sauratown Mountain
004 - Pores Knob, Wilkes County
005 - Greensboro, Guilford County
006 - Anderson Mountain, Catawba County (?)
007 -
008 - Sauratown Mountain, Stokes County
009 - Green Mountain, Alleghany County
010 - Randelman, Randolph County
011 - Winston-Salem GMAC building, Forsyth County (Formerly on Winston-Tower)
012 -
013 - ? *Neighbor to Suaratown Mountain and Winston-Salem GMAC
014 - ? *Neighbor to Garner
015 - ? *Neighbor to Garner
016 -
017 - ? *Neighbor to Winston-Salem GMAC
018 -
019 -
020 -
021 -
022 - Winston-Salem, Forsyth County FTCC
023 - Randolph County Area (Asheboro?)
024 - Broadway, Lee/Harnett line
025 - ? *Neighbor to Garner
(Not sure if there are higher numbers than site 25... it *could* go up to 30... I don't know.)

"Network 2" - Southern NC

001 - Orr Rd, Mecklenburg
002 - Hearst Tower, Mecklenburg
003 - CHS Stanly County*
004 - Rock Hill, York SC
005 - South Charlotte, Mecklenburg
006 - **Possibly Anderson Mountain
007 - China Grove, Rowan?
008 - Monroe, Union
009 -
010 -
011 -
012 - Saulisbury, Rowan?
013 - CMC Main, Mecklenburg
014 - CMC Mercy, Mecklenburg
015 - CHS North East, Cabarrus
016 - CHS University, Mecklenburg
017 - CHS Pineville, Mecklenburg
018 - CHS Lincoln, Lincoln
019 - CHS Waxhaw, Union
020 - CHS Union, Union
021 - ? *Neighbor to China Grove
022 -
023 -
024 -
025 - Newport, York SC
026 -
027 -
028 - Crowders Mountain, Gaston
029 - Kings Mountain, Cleveland
[QUOTE/]

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I think you’re on to something. I’ll go ahead and create another NC system for these sites so they can be listed as everyone figures it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! I can DM you some more info later when I have time to check on some of the sites over towards Raleigh. I can also tell you which of the TGs currently in the DB are carried on which of the two networks as well if you need that.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
New Wiki started here: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FleetTalk

So this should be the first go to for new info so that we can verify and confirm before editing the database. This way we don't have conflicting info submitted and then DB Admins making conflicting changes back and forth.

@IcomIcR20 if you want to or can you can edit the wiki with your list of sites so far that you posted here. Anyone that wants to can send me info if they want it added to the wiki if they are not able to.

I think this will help everyone have a sort of "scratch pad" to collaborate before we commit info to the database.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Notes from a drive from Forsyth to Wake County:

I heard no site #5 in Greensboro as previously noted.

*Site #3 (452.0125) was weak when I heard it around around the Forsyth/Guilford county line.

*Site #10 (462.1375) does indeed seem to be in Randleman and has quite a wide coverage area as I could still hear the site in parts of Orange County.

*Site #13 (461.9625) seems to be in Greensboro as it reached full signal around the Koury Convention Center. It appears to be a single frequency site as I heard voice traffic on the control channel.

*Site #17 (451.125) was weak but copiable around Wendover Ave. in Greensboro.

*Site #23 seems to indeed be coming from the Randolph county area as previously noted. Not sure which network that site belongs to.

*Site #7 (462.5375) in Garner was the only thing I was hearing on my HT in Cary, NC.

Site #10 neighbors: L219-2, L219-7, L219-11, L219-13, L219-17, L219-23, L219-24

Site #13 neighbors: L219-2, L219-3, L219-8, L219-10, L219-11, L219-14, L219-17

KG4KHQ

Premium Subscriber

The site #5 has disappeared. When it was active, I was getting it from home in Northeast Davidson County and at work at PTI Airport. There appeared a construction company using it. I also get Site #17 at home with almost full bars. If you’re not getting in Western Forsyth, then I’m thinking maybe Davidson or Randolph, I barely get it at the airport.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber

The site #5 has disappeared. When it was active, I was getting it from home in Northeast Davidson County and at work at PTI Airport. There appeared a construction company using it. I also get Site #17 at home with almost full bars. If you’re not getting in Western Forsyth, then I’m thinking maybe Davidson or Randolph, I barely get it at the airport.
Hmmm.. I'm thinking maybe Thomasville or perhaps Lexington for site 17. I don't hear it in Western Forsyth and it was not super strong in Greensboro. There is already a site in Randleman and (possibly) Asheboro, so I would think the central Davidson area is a good bet as there are no identified sites in that county.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Could license WQZH287 possibly be site 17. Frequency of 451.13125 is close to 451.125. It shows NXDN as an emission.
Hmmm... well site #10 which *should* be in Randleman gives site #17 as a neighbor. The license you mentioned shows the location as Randleman as well. That would only make sense if for some reason site #10 is not in Randleman as several users have reported.

Also, the Winston-Salem site gives site #17 as a neighbor and lists the CC as LCN 91 which, according to the formula, comes out to 451.125 MHz. However, weird things happen in the LCN when you have those crazy frequency steps such as in 451.13125. Very confusing indeed :)

randyK

True about the odd freqs, I'm just north of Level Cross and here site 10 is definitely stronger than site 17, so you're probably correct on that. WQYY487 could be site 23, according to fcc data its on Cedar Rock mtn in Asheboro. But it shows 461.48125 instead of 461.475. WPTH281 shows two sites, one in Randleman and one on Westover Terrace in Greensboro, At least some of the frequencies match up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.