NCHP frequency questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardnNC

Premium Subscriber
I find 42MHz freq. and 800MHz freq. for the NCHP.
Are they using both or only 800MHz range now?

And are the 800MHz freq. digital.. and part of Viper?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
They are using 42 MHz and 800 digital in Onslow County. Not sure about the rest of the State.

reconrider8

I think most of the state still uses both I hear a lot of dispatch on viper but not so many troopers coming back on viper so I'm guessing they are using low band to come back

WA4MJF

They use both. Some Patrolmen use just 800 and we had one
here in Wake (she on guv detail now) who used 42 because she
did not want everyone to hear what she was saying.

Ronnie

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
There used to be a UHF link that I would hear all of the Troopers talk back to dispatch, but I haven't heard it break squelch in a long time. I believe that at least here they use lowband for their mobile comms and their handhelds are 800. Dispatch transmits on both 42 and 800.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
The following thread should be helpful:

http://forums.radioreference.com/north-carolina-radio-discussion-forum/24165-viper-vs-ncshp-low-band.html

In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, 800 mHz portables have been issued, and the high band systems in the cars, including the vehicular repeaters, are being removed. When the troopers are out of the vehicle, they will utilize the 800 mHz portables in place of the high band radios and repeaters.

In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, the troopers will use the low band when in the car, and the 800 mHz portable when out of the car.

In those counties where the 800 mHz system is online, the low band dispatch only is multicast on the 800 mHz system, but the low band mobile-to-base frequency is not repeated over the 800 mHz system.

Hope some of this helps.

I always pass along to make it simple:

--SHP Dispatch can usually be heard multicasting on both Low band 42Mhz and 800Mhz VIPER.
--Troopers responding back to SHP Dispatch will be heard on EITHER Low Band 42Mhz or 800Mhz VIPER but not both at the same time.
--In Central NC (Troop C Wake, Durham, etc) 800Mhz VIPER is primarily used.

Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I can verify the following information:

Gaston County Troop H 1

Mecklenburg County Troop H 5

Union County Troop H 3

All are dispatched on the following systems.

They are dispatched on Low Band, Viper and the Char-Meck Analog 800 Mhz. Systems.

I carry my scanner at work and I can talk to SHP on low band and they will answer me back on both the

low band channels and the Char-Meck 800 MHz talkgroup as well.

The main reason for the patch on the Char-Meck system is so the troopers in each county has the capability to communicate with that respective

counties City Police Departments.

The Troopers portable radios are programmed so they can talk to Char-Meck Police, Gastonia Police, Belmont, and Mt. Holly Police. The

Cleveland Troop H 4 troopers have the Cleveland County 800 Mhz. system programmed as well so they can communicate with Shelby Police,

Cleveland Sheriff, Cleveland Ems, and Cleveland Fire.

I do know that Cabarrus County Troop E 6 had a talkgroup on the Cabarrus County 800 MHz system, but

that talkgroup has been deleted and now they are carried on the Viper System.

Each troop is different in the way the radios are programed for interoperability use.

I think the Troop D trooper have the Guilford County 800 Mhz. system programmed in there radios as well.

Also a lot of the Troop D troopers have Viper Talkgroups for the different counties they work in. (ie. Caswell Sheriff, Fire, Lee Sheriff, Fire & Ems

etc).
Hope this helps

David

Last edited:

kd8x

troopers (E6) can communicate with Carbarrus 800 system directly with Cabarrus (clt/meck p25 system) and still use 42 MHz also.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
There is another group of 800 mhz channels that are not part of VIPER, and are used for the mobile data terminals only.
As to low band, I hear traffic on Ch 1, 9, and 17 (Troop G) regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.