NCSHP Quick Reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
Hi to all,

Some fellow followers of the NCSHP and myself like to keep a channel/freq guide in the vehicle when traveling across the state so we know exactly which channels to be scanning no matter where we may be. We have an old channel list that is way outdated and we were looking to update it. I got to looking around in the database and found a nice printable chart that shows the channel assignments. It lacked a few things our old chart shows, so I made some modifications. This made a nice updated quick reference sheet to keep in the car either laminated or in a sheet protector.

It is attached to this post and is in Microsoft Word/Excel format.

Enjoy!!!

Wes

P.S. who ever manages this chart in the database, Warren County is missing from the list.

Attachments

• NCSHP Quick Reference.doc
    97 KB · Views: 454

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just as a note, sometimes 155.445 does not have a PL tone. It really depends on your area.

CCHLLM

Actually, it's not the area that affects the presence or lack of PL on 155.445, it's the particular car's radio/vehicular repeater/portable radio combo. That is, if there's actually a vehicular repeater present. The units assigned to counties where the 800 mHz systems are in service only have vehicular repeaters if the car was present before the changeover to 800. Those troopers are assigned the 800 portables, and as they're assigned new cars, the vhf high band stuff becomes "absent." As of this time a year ago, leaving the high band stuff off the new cars wasn't a certainty, due to the limited number of portables available, but that was the policy when 800s were available.

pboy

wx4cbh, would you venture a guess as to what will happen to the repeaters that transmitted on 154.68?

Rust in peace, or hand-me-down to some other agency?

CCHLLM

You were on the right track, and what the day-to-day policy on what stays and what goes during radio installations seems to vary day-to-day and troop-to-troop. Who knows what combos may be out there in reality.

The vhf high band repeater stuff is still "undiscovered" by most of the troopers, and believe it or not, many have a Maxtrac mobile/HT1000/Syntor 9000 VRS in their cars and still have no idea what that Maxtrac is for. Go figure.

Anyway, another " who knows" is exactly what you asked: what will happen to the 154.680 repeaters? The 155.190 intercity base station is still in place and operating in the GSO transmitter building, but it's suffering from a complete lack of maintenance over the past 25 years or so, and based on that situation, your guess is as good as mine. Last word I heard was that the vhf high band repeater system across the state would be abandoned. I would have thought that means it would be removed as soon as all the vhf car systems were removed in favor of the 800 system, but since old Intercity Gal at GSO is still sitting there waiting for that never-to-be heard-again Secode pulse dial, maybe they mean just that: abandoned in place and left to die on its own.

And thanks, 988, for the much better QR sheet than I made.

Last edited:

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
NCSP and OBX

Just to confirm, the NCSP for the Dare Co and OBX area will still be on VHF low band, 42.72 and 42.92 mhz. I was looking around the FCC site and found a few new 800 MHZ freq for the state police (pending status).

Should I load these freq in for my trip to OBX in Sept, or is it a waste of my time?

Thanks....

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Should I load these freq in for my trip to OBX in Sept, or is it a waste of my time?

Yes - if you are visiting Hatteras Island.

No, if you are visiting Nags Head, Kitty Hawk or the north end of the county. The site would be too far to monitor under "normal" conditions.

But there are other sites already licensed within the county that might be closer to where you're visiting:

East Lake - WQDE999
Wanchese - WQDJ700
Kitty Hawk - WQEE299

I would also expect another site to be eventually licensed for the northern end of Dare County and part of adjoining Currituck County, so keep an eye on the FCC pendings.

Jeff Multer

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
Obx And Nc Viper

Thanks, I just loaded all 100+ freq into the BC 396T, so I am set to go. Will note which freq are used for control and post back on this thread.

kg4rgn

CCHLLM

Just as a note for those just tuning in. NCSHP is definitely still on lowband statewide and will be for some time to come. The 800 system is a good ways away from being completed, and although there are some counties where the metro 800 systems in place allow the VIPER portions to function, and the troopers there are issued and are using 800 portables, the low band radio is still king. SHP traffic that isn't passed on the mobile data system will be heard on the low band side, and if the dispatch is being simulcast on 800, all you'll hear on 800 is the dispatch side unless the trooper replies/talks on the 800 portable. Your scanner is not receive challenged, the mobile reply is just not being rebroadcast.

Also be aware that the troopers in Dare are equipped with radios on the Dare County Sheriff freqs, and they use their state call signs, so they'll be easy to pick out.

And, oh yeah, VA is the one with the state police, NC is the one with the SHP. We'uns is got the Dee-partment of Crime Control and Public Safety, of which the SHP is a unit. I just love the differences between commonwealth law and shire law. Quite frankly, some of the logic escapes me .....

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
BTW: I added the above file to the database..thanks for posting it! :cool:
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.