NDF Dispatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
When I took a rocket run to Carson City and home today (about 6 hours round trip) I heard an NDF unit call a dispatcher to go out of service. The interesting part of the transmission is that he called "Elko" and not "Eastlake" or "Minden." I did hear the unit's identifier to determine which NDF region the unit belonged to, but it might have been a western region unit calling Elko for dispatching or an Elko unit calling Elko for dispatching. The repeater was definitely local in the Carson-Minden area as I had a solid copy.

My understanding to this point is that Elko dispatched for the northeastern part of the state, Minden for the western part of the state and Las Vegas dispatching for the southern portion of the state. I know there have been some changes for NDF, what with the local jurisdiction contracts NDF no longer has. Has the northern portion of the state been consolidated for dispatching purposes or is traffic simulcasted on selected repeaters statewide now?

I can't pick up NDF from my home, with the exception of the northern conservation camp frequency, if conditions are right, when they use the Warm Springs repeater east of Tonopah. The state doesn't have a repeater on "Mtn. Top" or "Main" close enough for me to listen and figure this out.

Last edited:

joen7xxx

Elko Combined Dispatch serves the rural portion of the state from about Winnemucca eastward. I have heard them on 158.895 mhz. as far south as Alamo in the southeast portion of the state. They dispatch NDF, BLM, USFS and the countless volunteer companies in this area.

swylie

Premium Subscriber
I think about two years ago NDF pulled out of Minden and went to Elko, however I have heard rumblings thay they were returning to Minden or maybe Minden is only handling the ROSS ordering and radio traffic is through Elko. Elko is 24/7/365 and Minden is closed on the weekends and holidays during the winter.

SCPD

QRT
I think about two years ago NDF pulled out of Minden and went to Elko, however I have heard rumblings thay they were returning to Minden or maybe Minden is only handling the ROSS ordering and radio traffic is through Elko. Elko is 24/7/365 and Minden is closed on the weekends and holidays during the winter.

That is interesting as that would mean Toiyabe NF units would be dispatched by Elko during those times. Is Minden a 24 hour operation Monday through Friday in the winter? Elko dispatched the Humboldt NF for many years prior to the two forests being administratively combined so it should not seem unusual.

So what I heard was a NDF western region unit going out of service and not a wide area transmission. Some agencies, such as Arizona Game and Fish, transmit all traffic on several repeaters around the state. The repeaters are selected to reduce areas where two repeaters are received at the same time. I guess this helps reduce having more than one unit calling a dispatcher at the same time. I presume that they have one dispatcher for AGF in Arizona at one time.

Who dispatches state park units in Nevada? Is the dispatching of the Nevada Department of Wildlife done out of one dispatch center and is it a 24 hour operation? California is able to provide 24 hour coverage for state parks and fish and wildlife by combining them into 3 regional dispatch centers? It would seem that Nevada could combine both agencies into one dispatch center. However, there might not be sufficient night time traffic to do so.

com501

With the recent completion of the state interop intertie, its a crap shoot which dispatch centers are going to do what. The other day LV NHP was dispatching for Reno, but Elko had the phones while the power was off in the Reno office. Other agencies are switching centers around also.

Now all we need is to get caller ID working in all the dispatch centers for cell phones and add ALI.

Its not that Nevada is behind the times, we're just slow.

SCPD

QRT
With the recent completion of the state interop intertie, its a crap shoot which dispatch centers are going to do what. The other day LV NHP was dispatching for Reno, but Elko had the phones while the power was off in the Reno office. Other agencies are switching centers around also.

Now all we need is to get caller ID working in all the dispatch centers for cell phones and add ALI.

Abbreviation bomb! What is "ALI."

com501

ANI - Automatic Number Identification - Identifies number of inbound caller.

ALI - Automatic Location Identification - Additional information tagged to the ANI that identifies the physical location of the landline phone, and usually in CAD, brings up call records, owners names, any other history for that address. For cellular calls, it brings up the geographic location of the phone.

Most areas have ANI and ALI, for instance, Las Vegas, but most of rural Nevada does not have anything but the most basic call intercept technology.

swylie

Premium Subscriber
So to answer your question about the HTF. If an incident occurs on the Carson Ranger District then the on call dispatcher comes in to Minden. So in the winter the HTF on the Carson District don't work on the weekends. In the summer Minden is usually staffed from 07:00 to 18:30 or later. The HTF's Law Enforcement goes through the Nevada Fish & Game all the time summer and winter. The same goes for the Carson City BLM District and Minden.

sigint1

Was: joking

Don't know about power being off in Reno Office but the there is no NHP dispatch center in Reno anymore - Hasn't been for few years

com501

I know where the switch is, and I know where they dispatch from. They call it Reno on the radio, so as far as the public needs to know, its Reno. And as far as the 'public', that include this board.

sigint1

Was: joking
I know where the switch is, and I know where they dispatch from. They call it Reno on the radio, so as far as the public needs to know, its Reno. And as far as the 'public', that include this board.

Well excuuuuusssseee me - I was just trying to point out what you may have not known - and I am sure the some of the "public" might like to know the center is now in Carson City not Reno - but call it as you like I am not going to argue the point - this will be my last word on the subject - Have a nice day.

gvranchosbill

Im in Minden and from what i have heard on my radios towards the end of summer:
NDOW is dispatched by NHP, local NDOW Units talk to "Reno" on these sites:
Corey Pk
Snow Valley
Virginia Pk
Winnemucca Mtn
Fox Mtn

Nevada State Parks i never hear an official dispatch, only Rptr/Simplex traffic
Ranger to ranger on these Rptr sites:
Snow Valley
Sand Harbor
Lahontan

BLM,Toiyabe NF and Fire Fighting Aircraft (Guard,Flight Following etc) was handled by Minden Dispatch late 2013.

NEVADA DIVISION OF FORESTRY
ELKO INTERAGENCY DISPATCH CENTER

158.8950 REMOTE KRO223 BM 110.0 110.0 NDF LOCAL
158.8950 156.0750 KRO223 RM 110.9 110.9 NDF McCLELLAN
158.8950 156.0750 KRO222 RM 110.9 123.0 NDF PEAVINE
158.8950 156.0750 KTH597 RM 110.9 131.8 NDF SNOW VALLEY
158.8950 156.0750 WQC306 RM 110.9 136.5 NDF PINENUT
158.8950 156.0750 WQAR655 RM 110.9 146.2 NDF EAGLE

158.8950 SIMPLEX KSV720 BM 110.0 110.0 CLEAR CREEK CAMP
158.8950 SIMPLEX WXB712 BM 110.0 110.0 STEWART CAMP

159.3450 SIMPLEX KP2513 MO CSQ CSQ NDF RED-NET 1
158.8650 SIMPLEX KB74511 MO CSQ CSQ NDF RED-NET 2
159.3750 SIMPLEX KP3832 MO CSQ CSQ NDF RED-NET 3
159.2700 SIMPLEX KNIW930 BM CSQ CSQ NDF RED-NET 4

156.0750 REMOTE KRO223 FX 123.0 123.0 McCLELLAN>PEAVINE
156.0750 REMOTE KRO223 FX 131.8 131.8 McCLELLAN>SNOW VLY
156.0750 REMOTE KRO223 FX 136.5 136.5 McCLELLAN>PINENUT
156.0750 REMOTE KRO223 FX 146.2 146.2 McCLELLAN>EAGLE

Today Feb 26 2014 heard these:
CONSERVATION CREW #4001
CONSERVATION CREW #4002
CONSERVATION CREW #4003
CONSERVATION CREW #4009
CONSERVATION CREW #4013
CONSERVATION CREW #4014
CONSERVATION CREW #4015
CONSERVATION CREW #4016
CONSERVATION CREW #4017

They used to be 3 digit numbers if i remember correctly Re: #401,#402 but today they were saying "Forty Zero One" ,"Forty Zero Two"and so on.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Bill! I see you've listed four NDF Red Nets. I saw the same list somewhere many years ago. Since then I've seen other information that only lists one Red Net on 159.345. Where did you get your info on the four Red Nets?

The Carson Ranger District is not the only district on the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF affected by what is going on at Minden. The Bridgeport RD is also affected. The Bridgeport RD should really go to the Inyo. Their LEO's work on weekends and so does dispatch, all year long.

The Carson RD could (should) be broken up between the Eldorado NF, the Lake Tahoe Basin and the Tahoe NF. When I worked on the Bridgeport RD in the 80's this was an occasional topic of discussion. We had a map with boundaries penciled in. We figured the Spring Mtn. National Recreation Area (it wasn't a NRA at the time) could go to the San Bernardino NF as the Supervisors Office of that forest is closer than Sparks, where the HTF Supervisor's Office is located. We then figured that the Humboldt could be combined with the Toiyabe (it wasn't at the time) and the Supervisor's Office could be located in Elko. This was the case for the Humboldt NF at the time. It made so much sense that it never went anywhere.

com501

All four Red Nets are still in Group 3 on the DMH mobiles. Allied agencies only seem to have Red 1. BLM only has Red 1 in their matrix, as of the last update. The last update was after the input change to 156.075 for the state repeaters.

SCPD

QRT
All four Red Nets are still in Group 3 on the DMH mobiles. Allied agencies only seem to have Red 1. BLM only has Red 1 in their matrix, as of the last update. The last update was after the input change to 156.075 for the state repeaters.

Thanks, I will add them to my Nevada programs. I have two that cover the whole state. Given the number of NSRS sites and the limitation of only 20 banks, I can only enter 1-3 sites per county and most of the time it is just one. That's the trouble with EDACS systems, they eat memory for breakfast. I love the SmartZone systems where you can enter all the known control channels, then split up the talkgroups into "lists" as GRE calls them or banks as everyone is used to.

I hope to get over into Nevada this summer and maybe get close to a fire or two. It has been a long time since I've been to a fire in Nevada. I would like to hear how the agencies in Nevada are managing them these days. In the 1980's my observation was they didn't quite have it together yet. I should stay in Elko when the monsoon moisture first hits there.

I don't know where NDF is active these days given their exit from the Sierra Front. I would guess Elko and Mt. Charleston. They used to be like CDF in Douglas, Story and Washoe Counties, dispatching volunteers, responding to structure fires, medicals and wildland fires. I guess the counties wanted to do it themselves and kicked the state out. I don't know how NDF determines its jurisdiction. Probably not as exacting as California's SRA determination, but similar to most states where any wildland outside fire districts is the state's responsibility. California makes the distinction that the land must be productive for watershed, grazing or timber and leaves a lot of "no man's land" in the very lowest elevations of the state.

Anyway, these frequencies and knowledge of how dispatch can be traded off will help me understand what I'm hearing in Nevada.

SCPD

QRT
I also have information that there are "camp nets" with 151.220 for north camps and 151.190 for south camps. There are some remote bases and a few repeaters on these frequencies. When the conditions are just right I pick up a repeater northeast of Tonopah. I don't remember where the repeater is located. I don't recall if there are any repeaters up in the Reno area.

EDIT: I've seen Red Net #2 listed as "crew net" and sometimes "crew/dozer net." Does anyone have insight on that?

Last edited:

com501

I think some departments are using the terms interchangeably depending on the age of the Chief.

gvranchosbill

Thanks Bill! I see you've listed four NDF Red Nets. I saw the same list somewhere many years ago. Since then I've seen other information that only lists one Red Net on 159.345. Where did you get your info on the four Red Nets?

The Carson Ranger District is not the only district on the Humboldt-Toiyabe NF affected by what is going on at Minden. The Bridgeport RD is also affected. The Bridgeport RD should really go to the Inyo. Their LEO's work on weekends and so does dispatch, all year long.

The Carson RD could (should) be broken up between the Eldorado NF, the Lake Tahoe Basin and the Tahoe NF. When I worked on the Bridgeport RD in the 80's this was an occasional topic of discussion. We had a map with boundaries penciled in. We figured the Spring Mtn. National Recreation Area (it wasn't a NRA at the time) could go to the San Bernardino NF as the Supervisors Office of that forest is closer than Sparks, where the HTF Supervisor's Office is located. We then figured that the Humboldt could be combined with the Toiyabe (it wasn't at the time) and the Supervisor's Office could be located in Elko. This was the case for the Humboldt NF at the time. It made so much sense that it never went anywhere.

I got those freqs from a 1990's East Fork list that had some other freqs on there like NV State-4 155.1450, NV State-5 155.7150.
I have those listed since the licenses are current but i only have heard 159.3450 being used since local agencies took over Fire/EMS duties.
I may have that list printed out somewhere, if i can find it i will quote the data.
159.8650 is or was the Dozer Net if i remember correct.
159.3750 i dont think i ever heard anything on this one.
159.2700 is the input to state parks so you got me?
I hear the inmate crew bosses talk on the 159.3450 often.
One other weird thing is the new input is 156.0750 (CAL-CORD) and i already have heard users coordinating with Med Helos remark about the comms from Elko.

Last edited:

gvranchosbill

I also have information that there are "camp nets" with 151.220 for north camps and 151.190 for south camps. There are some remote bases and a few repeaters on these frequencies. When the conditions are just right I pick up a repeater northeast of Tonopah. I don't remember where the repeater is located. I don't recall if there are any repeaters up in the Reno area.

EDIT: I've seen Red Net #2 listed as "crew net" and sometimes "crew/dozer net." Does anyone have insight on that?

Yes that is what i remember 159.8650 was or is the dozer net.
I heard dozers on there about 15 years ago give or take.
151.220 & 151.190 are among the updated license info i have seen though it is confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.