Need a good handheld scanner for Sarasota Sheriffs feed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to purchase a handheld scanner so I can start hobby listening to the Sarasota county sheriff's department in Sarasota, Florida. Can anyone recommend a good handheld? I don't know if the sheriff's system is digital, encrypted, trimmed, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Any regular type of scanner will do to pick up the Sarasota Sheriff's office. Any Uniden or GRE is the best to buy...It's just user preference.

c1mf

If you dont wanna break the bank try the radioshack pro 164 i use it easiest scanner to start out with iv found it cost 150 for the radio your gona want recharable batteries for it as well as an upgraded antenna to

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Before all is said & done you will need a Digital that will decode P25, they just don't know what format yet on the P25

shadcall

You will need a scanner capable of receiving P25 digital signals. A look at the talkgroups listed in the database shows the sheriff's department and the city of Sarasota police are completely digital. Other talk gropus are a mix of analog and digital. You will need something like Radio Shacks Pro 106 which is a handheld scanner. I don't know the current price, but at times they come on sale and sometimes you can get a good used one for a fair price.

Thank you for all the replies. I looked at all the suggested scanners and I like the pro-106 the best. It's a little outside my budget but just will need to save a little more. Thanks again for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.