Need Help Choosing Replacement Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought two Radio Shack scanners off Craigslist, a Pro 2035 and a Pro 2052. I haven't owned a scanner in years and am not too knowledgeable on the subject.

Both scanners seem to work but I'd like to replace the antennas with something a bit more "optimal" yet, hopefully, relatively inexpensive. Just looking to listen to freqs in Jasper County, Missouri, primarily looking at fire, police, and ambulance to begin with.

The guy gave me 3 different antennas.

One appears to be a Radio Shack BNC telescopic antenna with coil for freqs 25-1300Mhz.. it seems to bring in a few channels but I'm unsure whether it is more effective extended or not. If I extend it, I can access Weather, collapsed seems better for the police freqs.

The other two antennas are short, rubber coated antennas, which, I'm thinking, were meant for hand-helds?

Any suggestions as to what might be the "best" indoor antenna for these model scanners? The original screw type antenna are missing.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..

(On another note, I came here to register and noted I'd apparently already registered here long ago! Don't remember ever doing so or why! ;) )

frazpo

Dave,
A lot of Jasper County agencies have migrated to digital systems and you will not be able to monitor them.
The only thing worth listening to is JASCO Fire East and West and JASCO Law. These are still on regular VHF.

It would be easier in telling me what exactly you want to listen to and I can tell you if you can or not.

Any stock scanner antenna from your location will be fine.

Thanks for the reply..

I suspected that's why he was selling the scanners, to upgrade to digital. I had repeatedly asked him if they'd receive Carthage fire, police, and ambulance and he assured me they would. :( Paid $100 for the pair of scanners.

I downloaded a list of Jasper County freqs and input a few on the Pro 2035 and we did hear some activity (license plate checks, request for air med transport, etc).. enough to satisfy my neighbor for the time being.

I'll try and do the same on the Pro 2052.. right now, that's not picking up anything with the short rubberized antenna he gave me and the freqs he had stored.

I'll head over to the local Radio Shack after Labor Day and pick a better antenna up and see what they have to say.

Thanks again..

VASCAR2

I'm using an old magnet mount cell phone antennae from when I had a bag phone. The antennae works great on VHF Hi and 800. I put a large washer on the bottom and slide it upside down between the window sill and the curtain rod. It works really good in the window but has done better than my pull up antennae.

Might be worth a try if you have an old cell phone antennae laying around.

I'm using an old magnet mount cell phone antennae from when I had a bag phone. The antennae works great on VHF Hi and 800. I put a large washer on the bottom and slide it upside down between the window sill and the curtain rod. It works really good in the window but has done better than my pull up antennae.

Might be worth a try if you have an old cell phone antennae laying around.

IGood alternate idea perhaps..

I actually went out today looking at the local flea market for an antenna or BNC connector. Of course, if I wasn't looking for one, there'd be plenty around! No luck and our local Radio Shack is closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays so guess I'll have to wait or maybe order off eBay or Amazon.

In the meantime, my neighbor has been enjoying listening to the Pro 2035 with the telescopic antenna.

Thanks for the reply..

Status
Not open for further replies.