Need help getting started - Digital/Trunked

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCastrodale

Premium Subscriber
Greetings - I'll try to make this short. I'm a ham radio operator and an avid scanner enthusiast. I recently moved to a small town in southwestern Colorado (Montrose) and all emergency services as I understand are now digital trunked. So, how do I figure out what scanner will absolutely work with the frequencies down here and once I figure that out how can I be assured that I'll be able to program my new scanner. Since I don't know what I'm doing I haven't even got as far as looking at scanner models. (Although it doesn't appear there are that many to chose from.) Any suggestions on scanner models and how to confirm I will be able to program it or get it programmed would be great.

Thank you !!!

Once again: I'm in Montrose, Colorado which is in Montrose County

ltjweiss

rvictor

It looks like most of your county's agencies are on this system which would require a digital scanner as you already know.

State of Colorado DTRS Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

As to whether you'll be able to program it, that's hard to say without knowing your ability or patience. I can, however, say that most people that are willing to put in a bit of time and effort are capable of doing so, particularly since there's a lot of help available here if you run into a problem.

Uniden, Radio Shack, and GRE all make scanners capable of doing what you want. Basically each one has a digital mobile and a digital handheld. My own preference is for the Uniden BCD396XT, but you'll find others that prefer the others. GRE makes the Radio Shack models for them.

One of the things that will make programming easier is the ability to use your computer to program your scanner. For the Uniden scanners there are three programs available--FreeScan, ProScan, and ARC-XT. FreeScan is free. The others have 30 day trial periods. I'd suggest that you start with FreeScan. If you need to do things that it can't do such as record and keep more complex logs, then my recommendation would be ProScan. Others would suggest ARC-XT. I have registered ProScan and ARC-XT and contributed to FreeScan so my opinions are based on my actual use of the programs.

Don't hesitate to post here or elsewhere in the forums if you need some help with the programming or have other questions.

Dick

MCastrodale

Premium Subscriber
Quick follow up - Encryption?

Thank you for the information. That is extremely helpful. One last question; I've heard a rumor that our local PD is not only digital trunked, but also encrypted and cannot be monitored. Is there a way to confirm this before I purchase a scanner?

Thanks again.

M. Castrodale
KC0LWG

captclint

Mentor
I've heard a rumor that our local PD is not only digital trunked, but also encrypted and cannot be monitored. Is there a way to confirm this before I purchase a scanner?
Ask this question on the CO forum. Be sure to include either the agency or your city in the subject like: Will X be using encryption in the future? If anyone will know, it will be your fellow CO scanners.

N8IAA

Thank you for the information. That is extremely helpful. One last question; I've heard a rumor that our local PD is not only digital trunked, but also encrypted and cannot be monitored. Is there a way to confirm this before I purchase a scanner?Thanks again.M. CastrodaleKC0LWG

If you checked the link posted above, scroll down to Montrose County. You will see that your county SO and city PD are indeed 'D'igital, and not 'E'ncrypted. Neither is the FD for either encrypted.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.