Need help in Washington Co TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmwish

I am wanting to purchase a scanner as a gift for my husband on our anniversary. He has had a BC scanner for several years but it is not digital. He has been told that most channels are now encrypted and that even with a digital scanner he will not be able to hear much. I have been shopping around and $500.00 to $800.00 is a lot of money if in fact most are encrypted. Does anyone have a problem with this? What is the best digital scanner to purchase for him? He mainly listens to Johnson City and Washington Co police and fire. All information and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
I am wanting to purchase a scanner as a gift for my husband on our anniversary. He has had a BC scanner for several years but it is not digital. He has been told that most channels are now encrypted and that even with a digital scanner he will not be able to hear much. I have been shopping around and $500.00 to $800.00 is a lot of money if in fact most are encrypted. Does anyone have a problem with this? What is the best digital scanner to purchase for him? He mainly listens to Johnson City and Washington Co police and fire. All information and recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thank you

Either the Uniden 996XT, Radio Shack 197 or the GRE 600 would serve the same needs as to monitoring the new system. As for the encryption, its only on a few JCPD and WCSO channels. The rest are clear and along with JCFD, EMS, ETSU, Jonesborough PD, County Fire, JC City Services and anything else. You should be able to find any of those digital scanner for less than 500.

WC_Finest

Our portables have alot of channels in them Also heard they are working on the backup channels. I have heard that the city radio manager is a royal *@&% with anyone and this new system. Another person told me they moving over the transit this week and next to finish it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.