Need help programming radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylsy

I am trying to understand trunking/programming I have a couple of issues. Just some background info I have a pro-164 RadioShack scanner with a programming cable and software.

1-RadioShack no longer has the firmware update for my pro-164 radio. Scanner master will not give me the file. They want me to send it to them and pay them to fix it. I currently have version 1.04 which I am assuming will not work with the Rebanded freq here in Utah. Does someone have the file?

2-how many control channels can I put into a single bank?

3-I have programmed my radio to hear Utah county agencies. I do not understand/know what agencies are using which repeaters.

4-I have programmed my radio per the frequencies shown on radio ref for all it co repeaters and I cannot hear anything. If I program a bunch of random frequencies with random control frequencies then I actually hear something.

Can someone please point me in the right dirrection and help me understand what is the best way to program my radio. I do not want to pay scanner master.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I will try some answers.
1. There are other ways, besides RS to upgrade your radio. A premium subscription to Radio reference will allow you to download the updates needed as well as program your radio for you. I do not know if ver 1.04 is rebanded.

2. Normally you can place as many control channels in one bank as you want. The scanner will find the strongest one and lock onto it.

3. Without knowing what you programmed, it is hard to answer why you are not hearing traffic. Did you follow the instruction manual on programming a trunking system? Are you able to program and hear conventional (non-trunk) signals?

4. If you program random frequencies into the scanner, you will get random traffic out.

I make a couple of assumptions here. You have not read the manual that came with the radio and you have not searched the forums for constructive information and guidance. Most of us find the price of a cable and software to be a small price to pay for the amount of time saved and convenience of not having to program manually with the front panel.

darylsy

gldavis reply

Thanks you have been very helpful.

I have read the manual for my radio and found it slightly confusing/not detailed enough for me to understand.
I have been searching this site, and others, for months to find answers with not much success.

I can hear conventional frequencies that were programed in a non trunked bank.

I have programmed all the trunked frequencies within Utah county that were shown in the radio ref website starting with the control frequencies followed by all other frequencies in numerical order. I think I will try to program more frequencies in other counties and program all talk groups that I want to specifically listen to. Im thinking this might solve my problem.

I just got to ask all of the professional scanners how they organize their radios so I can do the same with mine.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
There will be a bunch of scanner folks at the Great Salt Lake Ham Fest this weekend in Sandy. You might want to try there.

N7YUO

Programming a trunking scanner requires that you have all of these parameters right:
1. The correct frequencies for the Control channel & Alternate control channels.
2. The correct TYPE needs to be selected (MOT). Choices are: MOT, EDACS, LTR, CONV; AM, FM, CT, DC.
3. Open mode or Closed mode? Open mode will receive & play everything transmitted from the site the scanner is tuned to (UtCo Simul). Every pd, fd, hosp, UDOT, animal control, water dept, street dept, sewer dept, trash. Believe me, open mode is good for remote areas like Emery County. Not advised for the Wasatch Front.
4. Closed mode means it will scan for and receive only the Talk Groups that you have chosen to receive, AND are programmed into the Bank for Utah County.
UHP UT CO DISP 19744, CTR REGIONAL 17696 are examples. If you want to hear Provo PD, you'll need to have their DEC Talk group programmed in.
5. You will need to have the Custom Trunking Table programmed in so the scanner can find the correct VOICE frequencies.
6. And finally, make sure you don't have attenuation selected for any trunked frequencies.
7. Firmware updates have already been covered in this thread. I am covering all the other things that need to be correct.

N7YUO Scanning since 1968 (48 years)

Status
Not open for further replies.