Need Help w/ Antenna Mounting on Chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.

smpg2613

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys.

Need some suggestions. I have two VHF Mobile Radios in which I transmit on both. I already have the Coax run.

These will be mounted on my chimney and would prefer that both be mounted on the same mast.

What items will I need? The chimney itself is maybe 5 feet tall. The current antennas I use are normal vehicle type anytennas on L-Brackets, but plan to possibly change them to some sort of discone antennas at some point. Also, I don't want anything too tall. Maybe 10 feet +/- at most. I live in a residential sub-division and don't want the neighbors complaining. Also, does it need to be grounded due to possible lightning strikes? If so, how should it be grounded.

If anyone could help very soon that would be great. Would like to get these mounted before the snow starts and the foot gets slick.

Thank you very much

Eddie

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Chimney mount antenna setup

Againts my better judgement (I HATE Radio Shack a/k/a Ratshack products) but that's just me, Without knowing your explicit mounting situation I would recommend the following items:

Chimney ratchet mount.
Model: 15-0839
Catalog #15-839
$24.99

And:

5' antenna mast.
Model: 1016-5P
Catalog #15-297
$14.99

Or

10' Antenna mast.
Model: 1016-10
Catalog #15-298
$24.99

In high wind or icy areas I have seen chimney mounts actually separate the chimney from houses if the chimney is located at the end of a house due to wind load stress the antenna(S) & mounts create. And if the chimney is mounted at the end or middle of the house such mounts wind movements & element vibration can cause a roof leak. If I were you I would seriously consider an alternate mounting method, eave mount, tripod mount or some other alternate method.

RadioShack - mobile phones, MP3 players, laptops, and more

Click on: "home enterntainment" then click on "antennas" then click on "acessories"

I hope someone else will reply with a better solution for you & proper grounding methods, good luck.

FLRAILMAN

SCPD

QRT
When using a chimney mount, I always like to recommend getting some angle iron ( a cut up bed frame works great), and putting the angle iron behind the mounting bands, between the chimney and the bands. This distributes the stress of the mount across a wide portion of the chimney, instead of having all the stress on the chimney concentrated to just where the bands are.

Status
Not open for further replies.