Need help with Chirp reading Kenwood TH-F6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I see that Chirp should work with the radio, and the cable is registered on Com3. I select my radio, and com port to read it, and nothing happens. Am i missing something? I checked the manual in case I had to do something on the radio, but found nothing.

Any help in getting this work work will make my upcoming trip to the wrest coast go better. leaving in 3 days.
The radio is new, and has nothing programmed other than my call sign.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Joe

KQ4BX

AG5DB

That sounds about right with a new F6A with nothing programmed in. The F6A with Chirp works in 'live' mode, ie, it continually reads the memory banks of the F6A; when you paste new info or type in new info, it updates the radio in real time. Make sure you've clicked on 'Show unused Channel' to start filling in the data.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
In addition to the above, I believe that Menu 9 has to be in the "PC" position. See pages 45-46 in the manual.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
That was it, I changed to PC mode and it allowed access to the radio. Programming in the Kenwood F6 is live, all changes are immediate.

One thing I was having trouble with is deleting memory positions, and moving everything up to fill the gap.

I wanted to do that because in spite of adjusting the position of the new memories to load at the next empty slot, I found frequencies stuffed in between other unlike frequencies. What I mean is that I put the frequencies in groups of the band, so I had .70cm frequencies, and saw 220 frequencies stuffed in with them. Not all of the 220 frequencies, just 5 or 6 of them So when i deleted them, and selected "delete them and shift block up" It deleted and looked like it was doing what I wanted, but it left a big empty gap in programming, not shifting everything up.

I will eventually get what I want, one way or another.

Thanks for the help.

Joe KQ4BX

cmdrwill

In addition to the above, I believe that Menu 9 has to be in the "PC" position. See pages 45-46 in the manual.

Would something like this apply to a Kenwood TM-G707 radio? I could 'read' the radio but making changes 'in real time' as CHIRP states, just deleted the entry.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm not familiar with how the TM-G707 is programmed. I've never owned one.

cmdrwill

I'm not familiar with how the TM-G707 is programmed. I've never owned one.

That is correct, older radio. Just trying to get it programmed for one of the club members. Other wise radio works great, even for a old radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.