Need help with FCC License entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekFan1701

I am trying to find my local fire department and EMS, they recently changed frequencies. So I went to the license search tool at FCC website. One of the entries for Pecos County is WQJM997. It has for frequency, 1.61 with zeros padding in front and behind. Can someone please tell me what this is?

Also, I am a newbie and could use some help sending in updates for the local agencies and make sense of the some of the information I am seeing on the FCC website. I would be happy to provide my phone number if someone would agree to call me and talk to me.

Thanks.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to find my local fire department and EMS, they recently changed frequencies. So I went to the license search tool at FCC website. One of the entries for Pecos County is WQJM997. It has for frequency, 1.61 with zeros padding in front and behind. Can someone please tell me what this is?

Also, I am a newbie and could use some help sending in updates for the local agencies and make sense of the some of the information I am seeing on the FCC website. I would be happy to provide my phone number if someone would agree to call me and talk to me.

Thanks.
Let me see if I can "walk" you through this one:

Go to the FCC License Search page

You'll see a search box at the top, where you can select 'Search by Call Sign'

Put WQJM997 in there and hit the Search button.

Now, you're looking at the first page of the license.Look near the bottom. Under 'Eligibility', it says 90.20 - Travelers Information Station

The frequency you're looking at, 000001.61000000, is in Megahertz.
Let's change that to Kilohertz, and remove the extra zeros.
That makes it 1610 Kilohertz, which is an AM broadcast band frequency. That, and the eligibility field, indicate that this is used as a informational radio station, probably automated. Most likely, it repeats a pre-recorded loop of segments about local attractions and points of interest. If you look at the Frequencies tab, you'll see it's also only ten watts, so it's range is limited. You'll see similar stations at airports and in other cities, passing along information to people from out of the area, Usually, there are signs near where you come into range of one of these.

twobytwo

TrekFan1701

Steve, Thanks for your reply. That makes perfect sense. I am a newbie at this so that really helped.

twobytwo, thanks for your reply. I would rely appreciate it if you could call me. Being a newbie I have a number of questions. I will see if I can PM you. If so, I will PM you my phone number.

TrekFan1701

twobytwo, I was not able to PM you. I don't have permission. Maybe if you can PM me, I can reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.