Need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

max2248

Premium Subscriber
I live in Mass but grand daughter lives in DeKalb County, I am looking to get her a scanner but not sure of the freqs in that area and what would be the best scanner. Not looking to spend big money this would be her first scanner and not sure if it will end up in a closet. Heres what be a must have, local FD and PD, State Police and most important Weather warn. Thanks for any come back.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I think you posted in the wrong State Forum. I believe your referring to DeKalb County Georgia? I will have one of the global moderators move this over there for ya.

EDIT: OOPS on the tired error my apologies. From the listings we have, almost any scanner will work with the Sheriff's Office, County Fire, and local PD's/FD's. THP, TEMA are on the TACN and that requires a top dollar Digital Capable scanner as was mentioned by another poster.... Will have to check on the status of their narrowbanding, but it should be complete by now.

Suggestions for everything but the State Level Agencies: BC15X, PRO-97 or newer, PSR-300/400. If your wanting to do the TACN, then you want more along the lines of BCD396XT/BCD996XT, HP-1 (EE), PRO-106 or newer, PSR-500/600, PSR-800, PRO-18.

Since your talking lower budget level, that knocks most of the newer digital scanners out, as they start around $250.00 to $300.00 and go up to $500.00 on E-Bay, and our own classifieds boards. You can get a good non digital for anywhere from $75.00 to $200.00 if your timing is right on both E-Bay and our classifieds. Best of luck to you and again, sorry about earlier snafu, trying to do things when dead tired before a nap is a nono.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfhtm350

Yes there is a Dekalb Co TN. State Police you will need a high dollar digital scanner, so you will probably want to cross them off your list. Most scanners have weather channels, but if your looking for it to go off with the weather alert tone there is some that will do that but not all. It is actually annoying to me because you have to have a weather channel programmed in as the priority channel so it checks it every few seconds and you hear it cut out when listening to something else (just my opinion). As far as Dekalb Co, I know nothing about the locals so thats all I can add.

KK4ELO

Any cheap analog scanner will be fine for here, as there are really only two frequencies in use here. 155.685 is sheriff, smithville pd, alexandria pd and smithville city fire. 154.430 is dekalb co fire, ems, and alexandria fire. Dekalb co rescue uses both of these frequencies. All others on RR database are dead as far as actual use.

Hope this helps.

Dozer295

as everyone else is saying a simple cheap analog scanner will do fine for DeKalb and most of the surrounding counties. I personally have a RadioShack 2055 mobile/base scanner mounted in my vehicle and it works great for me, and allows me to listen in to quite a bit on my drive into Smithville to work throughout the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.