need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blennick

it been a while since I have toyed with my stereo. I just bought a kenwood GE 7030 along with a kenwood KM 992, do i need another unit to run volume control like a receiver for my turntable and if so what would you recommend with this setup

typesix

Yes, you will need another unit, a preamp. The preamp will act to select the source, provide amplification for the weak phono signal(assuming you have a magnetic cartridge) and provide volume control. Could go with another Kenwood(used) or any other major brand.

prcguy

I would suggest dumping the Kenwood stuff and shop for a used NAD receiver, which will have an FM tuner and a pretty good phono preamp section for a reasonable price. NAD is on the very low end of audiophile grade components but light years ahead of most brands you might be more familiar with (like Kenwood, Sony, etc) regarding sound quality.

Even at my last job where I had to do very critical listening to broadcast audio, I bought a used NAD 40wpc receiver off Ebay for $75 to feed the Tannoy System 8 speakers in my office and it sounded better than the array of expensive amplifiers we had at the broadcast facility.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.