Need info about Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

asd6845

After much searching, I could not find anything about this. So here goes the question.

What is the gain of the wideband VHF (136-173Mhz) dipole portable antenna vs. the standard heliflex antenna you would normally see on a Motorola radio.

I only ask because I came across one for sale and it fit all my needs for my Astro Saber. So now I can use my Astro for 2m, MURS, and at work on the VHF business.

This question is more about my curiosity. Regardless of the answers, I still need this wideband antenna.

Thanks.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
You're talking about the longer antenna with the red SMA connector, right?

My rough measurements (un-calibrated and not in an anechoic chamber so take it for what it's worth) suggest that it has about the same gain as the standard narrow antennas, within about 1 db or so. The swr is pretty flat across the band, which is the main benefit.

It's annoyingly long, so if you're using the radio for transmit mainly in a narrow range but to receive across a wide range, you're probably better off with the regular antenna for your main transmitting frequency. The lower range VHF antenna is rated for 136-150.8, which gets you pretty close to MURS (although I've not measured it).

Last edited:

asd6845

Thanks for the info. I will need the wideband dipole antenna since I use the radio to transmit from 144 - 158. the length doesn't bother me too much. I think it's about 8 inches long. Not too bad considering how I used to use a 15 inch dual-band antenna on my Icom W32A.

Status
Not open for further replies.