Need New NMO Mounts for a 2008 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedWCM

Just got a new 2008 Tahoe from work, Need some suggestions on installing 2 mounts, Don't want to drill roof to install mounts.

1 Antenna is for my Fire radio Converta-Com in VHF-Lo

The other antenna will be for a scanner antenna (Using a Austin Spectra) So far I have not found a better antenna for VHF-Lo/Hi / UHF and up to 1200mhz. If there is another please tell me

I thought of using a Mirror bracket and attaching it to the roof rack , but rack is plastic so the ground plane won't be good

Don't want to install a "L" bracket on front fender Hate the way they look on the front fenders

Anyone have any other suggestions ?????

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
TedWCM said:
Don't want to drill roof to install mounts.

Why not?

TedWCM said:
1 Antenna is for my Fire radio Converta-Com in VHF-Lo

Loband needs a real antenna, if not a ballmount then a base loaded antenna on the roof (#1) or fender (#2)

Anything less on lo-band will just be a crappy install, no way around it.

TedWCM

I am going to use a real antenna, Just need some NMO mounting options , Have a base loaded VHF-LO tuned antenna

As far as the roof, It's a compnay vehicle and don;t want to take inside roof lining out to install mount thru roof, Besides would have to pay a radio shop to install it if I did

found this mount, anyone used or tried it ?? http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=264_271

Last edited:

Grog

Banned
If you won't use a ballmount, roof or fender mounted NMO, then I guess anything else will be equal. I'm not sure I'd trust a hammy grade mount, and I do seem to remember reading on another forum (likely eham) that some of those jap mounts are not truly with commercial grade NMO antennas. Seems there might be two different standards, but I would only use commercial grade NMO mounts and antennas. Anything less and you might be just re-doing it sometime down the road anyway.

Do it once, do it right.....

Good luck :D

N0ZQR

Premium Subscriber
IF you are using this for fire communciations, do it right and put the antenna on the roof!

You can do all of the install from the outside (drill, string the cable, mount the mount) only will need to pull down the headliner at the door trim to get the cable to go down the "B" post and then string the cable to the radio.

Ron

Grog

Banned
TedWCM said:
You say Ball Mount ??

Where can I see a pic of it ? and how is it mounted ??

:lol: If you won't do a NMO, you won't do a ball mount even though it's almost always the best for all around lo-band use.

edit...this is a cheezy CB setup, but quality mounts are available....

jeep_suspension.jpg

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
I work for a radio shop and while a ball mount is good, the NMO mount on the roof is the best. The roof acts as a ground plane and gives the best radiated pattarn for RF signals. You don't need a radio shop. You can do it yourself. The only thing you need is a good 3/4" hole saw to make your holes in the roof. Just use a little common sense when doing so. Like make sure that where you want to drill does not have a brace in the way. Also make sure that you have at least 18" spacing between your antennas. and make sure your antennas are centered. If your afraid that you might drill throught the headliner then insert a 2*4 between the head liner and the roof. This is no harder than running the power wires for your equipment. When you have finished installing your NMO mount(s) I would suggest that you WASH not brush off the metal shavings from your roof. These metal shavings can scratch up the finish of your vehicle and if not removed may also rust and damage the finish of the vehicle. What ever you do have fun doing it. 73's de N5SLI

Last edited:

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
The company I work for charges $50.00 an hour but it may go as high as $100.00 an hour depending on your area

Grog

Banned
And I can't see taking that long to mount two NMO mounts, I'm just to lazy to do it so I might have a shop do mine (whenever I decide what I want to mount). I was once quoted $35 each including the mount since I was going to get several mounted (on another vehicle), but I think that was a deal.

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
Hey Grog, That was a sweet deal that you got. The SRP for a Larson NMO-NOCON kit is around $22.00 a kit. That does not even include the connector. :)

mjthomas59

Put them on the roof or on each fender and don't drive into any parking garages.

The St. Louis County Police department has some brand new Tahoes with roof mounted VHF 5/8 wave antennas. I've been told by those who drive them that they have great range on receive and transmit but the overhead clearance is certainly a concern.

The MOHP runs some newer Chevy Silverados for crash investigation and they run base loaded antennas for 42mhz mounted on the driver side front fender. I don't see anything wrong with them, but they don't stand a chance when compared to the ball-mounts they run on their crown vics.

rgv_tech

LRGV Radio Tech.
Database Admin
One thing to remember guys. the longer the whip the more gain you will have. The shorter the whip the less gain and less range you will have. For VHF I would go with a Larsen NMO 150 BCO this setup has a 49 inch whip and does a great job.

TedWCM

Any members in Putnam County, NY or Westchester, NY that can recommend a good shop to install the mounts ?

Also looking for any place selling a Converta-Com for a HT-1250 radio . New or slighty used not abused

Last edited:

TedWCM

New Update , some input needed

Ok, I know everyone wants me to drill the roof , went to 3 radio shops, all quoted +$750.00 to drill and snake cable. MY heart skipped a beat, They all say they have to drop the roof liner in the vehicle. 750.00 is way above the price I want to spend.

Then someone pointed out the roof rack cross bar on the roof are metal and attached metal tracks holding the cross bars , I thought they were plastic.

If I use either of these mounts I posted the links to would it give a fairly good ground plane ?? All I have to do is flip the bracket horizintally to hold it to the cross piece and mount 1 at the back and 1 at the front bar ?? What do you think ??

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...e=product_info&cPath=264_269&products_id=1194

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...e=product_info&cPath=264_269&products_id=1194

n8emr

TedWCM said:
Ok, I know everyone wants me to drill the roof , went to 3 radio shops, all quoted +$750.00 to drill and snake cable.
Where do you live, Its usually $30-$50 per hole in my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.