need portable handheld scanner for audio use

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAsound

im looking for a (somewhat) wideband scanner in the UHF band 470-806 Mhz (aka UHF channels 14-69)

we run a music venue where acts are always coming thru with different brands of wireless monitor systems (all with unique frequency ranges)and its impossible for us to have them all

is there something portable that exists that has stereo headphone out and can cover all of those ranges

looking for something that can duplicate the functionality of things like this

Sennheiser EK300 G3
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-microphone-bodypack-receiver-monitoring-system-ek-300-iem-g3

Shure P10R
P10R Wireless Diversity Bodypack Receiver | Shure Americas

does such an animal exist? stereo output preferred tho mono would do if it was the only option

LAsound

seems like the yaesu VX-3R,VX-5R, and VX-6R are a good fit.Portable and price is right on the older models at least

I really dont need all the bells and whistles, just reception in that UHF range, Of the three i named, are any of them stand-out for my application? i saw a review where an old -5R owner got a -6R and was happier with the older one.

They seem to be very well built, is there anyone that actively repairs the older units, or should i be looking at a new unit with warranty only?

Any other manufacturers that make similar sized units with that feature set? I really dont need to transmit, just a receiver with decent stereo sound

thanks!

I_am_Alpha1

The Yaesu models are mono. Don't know of anything that will do stereo. Since you want receive only...look at the Baofeng. For $20 each, you can buy several and throw them away if they quit working and you can program from the keypad on the fly.

LAsound

also from yaesu's site for the-3R

" In additon to top quality performance on the 2m and 70cm, you will also be able to enjoy stereo FM and improved AM broadcast band reception with our new Internal Bar Antenna."

LAsound

been using the yaesu VX-3R it is mono and sounds good enough.. just need some recs on improved antennas - still needs to be pocket sized

the earphones the tech was using were shielded twisted pair - would this avtually be bad got our purposes as earphones are used as secondary antenna?

what would be my best choice among these options? (or any others)

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Original-SRH815-Triband-Antenna/dp/B00AR0A7JM

https://www.radioddity.com/radioddi...lkie-vhf-uhf-136-174-400-520mhz-14-96in.html#

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Genuine-NA-701-SMA-Female-BTECH/dp/B00KBZLOHC

KD9KSO

How are you using this exactly? Just to monitor the house mix or mains? Individual performers? Not quite following the purpose of your inquiry.

LAsound

whtever we need it for. usually one of the performer's mixs

just looking for something like it is.. a universal backup

looking to improve S/N and ideally better filter width in a handheld but i dont think that exists

prcguy

You might want to find out what the FM deviation is on the various wireless mics and I suspect the mics will be wider than most radios can handle. A typical wide band communications radio uses +/- 5KHz deviation with a specific pre-emphasis/de-emphasis curve and a wireless mic might be wider with a different pre-emphasis curve. If a wireless mic uses say 25KHz deviation it will be very distorted coming out of a communications type radio.

If you just want to use the receiver for confidence monitoring that's one thing but if your going to take that audio and feed it to a PA system or on air that's a bit more critical.

Ham radios and some scanners with FM stereo reception use a specific AM/FM receiver chip for that function and its separate from the rest of the radio. Those are stuck with +/- 75KHz deviation and only in the FM broadcast bands, you usually cant use that part of the radio in the UHF range.

Last edited:

LAsound

not mics at all its on the back end

im not feeding a walkie talkie signal to FOH that would be ghetto

prcguy

I'm confused, I thought you wanted to use a police scanner type receiver as a universal receiver for various wireless mics. If so are you going to only monitor that receiver with earphones or use that police scanner as the main receiver for a PA?

You can take some wireless mics to a local 2-way radio shop and ask them to measure the average deviation on a service monitor. It would only take about a minute and they may not even charge you. Then you would know if a police scanner type radio would work. Most police scanners are compatible with stereo earphones. They will be mono but in both channels equally.

Edit: If you are in Los Angeles I could measure the deviation for you .

not mics at all its on the back end

im not feeding a walkie talkie signal to FOH that would be ghetto

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
im looking for a (somewhat) wideband scanner in the UHF band 470-806 Mhz (aka UHF channels 14-69)

we run a music venue where acts are always coming thru with different brands of wireless monitor systems (all with unique frequency ranges)and its impossible for us to have them all

is there something portable that exists that has stereo headphone out and can cover all of those ranges

looking for something that can duplicate the functionality of things like this

Scanners and ham radio-type walkie-talkies aren't stereo.

I just tested my Uniden BCD436HP, and it will accept FM broadcast channel width for UHF frequencies So it will handle wireless mics and such. More importantly, you can use the Close Call feature to automatically detect the TX frequency of a mic or IEM transmitter--great for temporary setups. Just activate the transmitter with the scanner nearby and it will detect the frequency and modulation type.

Audio output quality may not please the most discriminating audiophile, but with good headphones should be good enough for monitor mixes and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.