Need Scanner for Waldo County, Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

davereed

Hi All,

I'm new to the "scanner scene", and am a search and rescue member in Waldo County, Maine.

I'm looking for some advice for the best kind/style of PORTABLE scanner for use in my area, Waldo County, Maine, where I am on a search and rescue squad.

Waldo County, Penobscot County, Knox County, Hancock County are of primary interest to me, obviously, with the major focus on Waldo County (I noticed they don't seem to have any frequencies at all available here on RR.com either?)

Thank-you,

-David

captclint

Mentor
I'm new to the "scanner scene", and am a search and rescue member in Waldo County, Maine.I'm looking for some advice for the best kind/style of PORTABLE scanner for use in my area, Waldo County, Maine, where I am on a search and rescue squad. Waldo County, Penobscot County, Knox County, Hancock County are of primary interest to me, obviously, with the major focus on Waldo County (I noticed they don't seem to have any frequencies at all available here on RR.com either?)
Welcome to RR. You should be happy with BC75XLT The thing I don't like is that there is no alpha display, so Fire Dispatch (Sheriff COMM2 Secondary) South Tower shows up as 153.74000. With alpha display, you wouild get 16 characters like Cnty Fire 2 2nd.and 153.74. If it were just your county, that might be alright, but for all those other counties, that is a lot to memorize. BC125AT has alpha.

Not sure what you mean that there is nothing listed in the DB for the counties you mentioned. They all have quite an assortment of fire, EMS, and PD frequencies. Here is Waldo County, Maine (ME)
There is one note. Maine State Communications Network is a digital system. If you wanted that as well, you are going to pay between $400-$550

Last edited:

wheels63

I have to agree with Clint on the bc75xlt or the bc125at. It`s a nice small hand held unit. And the price is very good at $82.99 for the bc75xlt at Walmart and about $150.00 for the bc125at at Radio Shack.My bc75xlt seems to pick up a lot more then my other scanners,even my RS Pro197.Either scanner would work in your county.BTW Welcome to the forum.

Tom/Wisconsin.

N8IAA

Hi All,

I'm new to the "scanner scene", and am a search and rescue member in Waldo County, Maine.

I'm looking for some advice for the best kind/style of PORTABLE scanner for use in my area, Waldo County, Maine, where I am on a search and rescue squad.

Waldo County, Penobscot County, Knox County, Hancock County are of primary interest to me, obviously, with the major focus on Waldo County (I noticed they don't seem to have any frequencies at all available here on RR.com either?)

Thank-you,

-David

I would go with the 125AT. It will give you more memory, alphatags, and the choice of CTCSS/DCS that some of the frequencies use to keep from interfering with others on the same frequencies.
I found all four counties in the database here on RR.
As mentioned, there is in the beginning build out of a P-25 Phase I statewide system. My suggestion is to ask in the Maine state forum to see how long before they go live.
HTH,
Larry

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Welcome I live in Waldo County and have the counties you mentioned programmed into my BC125AT and pro 2052. I get Knox better then Waldo because of the hills and mountains between Belfast and Lincolnville. If you want I can tell you which are the best freq. to listen too due to activity they are
Waldo and Knox County fire and police main channels-Primary and secondary dispatch
Camden PD
Belfast PD
The state prison has freq. listed here, they are active and interesting to listen too.
These are the most active.

The state has started the switch to their p-25 system but you can still pick up the state agencies because they are still using the old system until the new system is fully upand running and has no issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.