• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Need Scanner Recommendation for Greenville area

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadonkadonkas

Premium Subscriber
I have a Baofeng UV-5R, and I have to say, I am NOT impressed with it's ease of use. I admit that it does do a lot for what it cost. I would also not call it a good scanner. It's slow, and hard to enable & disable frequencies. I have an old Uniden BC200XLT that works MUCH better as a scanner.

Are there any Baofengs that do a good job of scanning?

Last edited:
Baofeng scanner

I have programed many Baofengs to scan. If you are not a avid listener they are pretty good for the money. The problem is the scan rate is slower than a regular scanner and you have to go through software to take channels in and out of a scan list. Good thing is you can program them as a listen only device. I hope this helps.

nmelfi

Premium Subscriber
You are going to want a digital scanner like a pro 106 or 668 or their whistler counterparts. Lots of anolog here, but quite a bit of digital also. Greenville city is all digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.