Need some analog trunking help in Sarasota

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanthewaves

Just got a Pro 164, I don't have a programming cable yet, I was expecting my old Pro 92 cable to work but it's mono, digital scanner not in the budget yet and I wanted to get back into the swing of the hobby. I read on the wiki that the county freqs are both digital and analog, but mostly digital although did hear what I guess is Fire toneout, so that must analog. The other day I punched in all 14 trunk freqs in the order the wiki shows including the control channel and I could have sworn it trunked, now it just keeps opening squelch on the control channel and displays random talkgroup IDs, Am I too far from the transmitter? I'm about 5 miles from downtown and it says 97% and the signal meter looks good, or is it because I need to reband? I read you can't enter tables manually you need to do it with software. I'm a little confused on this rebanding deal. I'm used to good old fashion analog trunking, but it seems most counties here in FL are switching. One question I would like to ask is if I get an EDAKS ESK capable scanner like the Pro 96, 106 or BCD396XT will I be able to monitor state freqs like FHP or is that just encrypted beyond monitoring? Also would the same cable I get for my 164 work on a 97 or 106 or is that also different? Is Win 97 the best program and does it cover rebanding?
Thanks for any help.
Ken

bradpradio7420

Premium Subscriber
Just got a Pro 164, I don't have a programming cable yet, I was expecting my old Pro 92 cable to work but it's mono, digital scanner not in the budget yet and I wanted to get back into the swing of the hobby. I read on the wiki that the county freqs are both digital and analog, but mostly digital although did hear what I guess is Fire toneout, so that must analog. The other day I punched in all 14 trunk freqs in the order the wiki shows including the control channel and I could have sworn it trunked, now it just keeps opening squelch on the control channel and displays random talkgroup IDs, Am I too far from the transmitter? I'm about 5 miles from downtown and it says 97% and the signal meter looks good, or is it because I need to reband? I read you can't enter tables manually you need to do it with software. I'm a little confused on this rebanding deal. I'm used to good old fashion analog trunking, but it seems most counties here in FL are switching. One question I would like to ask is if I get an EDAKS ESK capable scanner like the Pro 96, 106 or BCD396XT will I be able to monitor state freqs like FHP or is that just encrypted beyond monitoring? Also would the same cable I get for my 164 work on a 97 or 106 or is that also different? Is Win 97 the best program and does it cover rebanding?
Thanks for any help.
Ken
i know one thing is for sure it dosent matter what kind of scanner or even and actual current production HARRIS CORP e.d.a.c.s radio with encryption feature you still would not be able to monitor any communications on the state S.L.E.R.S system. it is 100% encrypted and unmonitorable. as for Sarasota County, all of the frequencies in the system have gone through rebanding and custom tables for your scanner will need to be programed. the fact that you have an anolog only scanner will mean you wont hear anything but fire tone outs because all other talkgroups are operating in digital. if you want to listen to sarasota you need at least a pro 96 or other form of digital scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.