Need some help to program my BCD996XT Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regent

I bought a BCD996XT Scanner with the Victoria Police talk group already on it. I would like to add two more talk group, the BC Ambulance & Fire Departments. I don't want to lose the info already on the scanner. The trunk system is "Motorola Type II SmartZone" "Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST)."
Could someone guide me on how to program these talk group into BCD996XT Scanner? Or give me a link to a video or tutorial that can help me achieve this project?

SCPD

QRT
What you need to do is get some scanner programming software and read your radio into the software. You then ADD the talkgroups you want and you re-program your radio. I am sure that someone here on RR can tell you what software to use as I am uncertain as I don't own any newer Uniden scanners.

Regent

Thanks for your advice but sometime the software can be just as complicated as to do it manually. But if someone could guide me or give me a link to step by step tutorial it would be a start?

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for your advice but sometime the software can be just as complicated as to do it manually. But if someone could guide me or give me a link to step by step tutorial it would be a start?
I think that you are really doing yourself a dis-service by thinking that programming software isn't the way to go.

In my opinion, the Victoria CREST system is not a small system where manual programming would be a good option.

I am certain that someone who knows the Uniden scanners better will let you know how to proceed.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I bought a BCD996XT Scanner with the Victoria Police talk group already on it. I would like to add two more talk group, the BC Ambulance & Fire Departments. I don't want to lose the info already on the scanner. The trunk system is "Motorola Type II SmartZone" "Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST)."
Could someone guide me on how to program these talk group into BCD996XT Scanner? Or give me a link to a video or tutorial that can help me achieve this project?

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual moto system

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Easiest way is to find the talk group you want in the list i linked to, click program system, locate your system, go to edit group, select the group you want it in, select edit channel, select new channel, input your TGID and you should be good. You can edit the alpha tag from there as well. Check the easy to read user guide linked above for more details. It's very easy to do, I do it all the time by hand, but I recommend you purchase a software program for this if you are a beginner, there are many, some free. See the wiki.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I totally agree with Jim about the value of the easy to read Uniden guide. His instructions do guide you through adding talk groups manually. He also adds the value of software programming. If you're scanner ever crashes you will be glad you have your profile stored.

Keep in mind the CREST system is not your average trunking system due to the frequencies and offsets. There are lots of interesting talk groups which would take hours to program manually.

Regent

Thanks for your advice Harryshute's!
I did download the Freescan program. Can I also Download the CSV File of All Sites and Frequencies for Trunked System: Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST) & drag & drop it into the Freescan program & then hook my scanner to to my computer upload the info to it?

SCPD

QRT
Can someone tell me step by step how to use the Freescan program?

I don't own any recent Uniden scanners (and reading on the Uniden forum lately it sounds like this is a good decision) .. thus no knowledge on programming them with Freescan.

Regent

Thanks fxdscon for the FreeScan User Guide but it doesn't show how to program the CREST system into my scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks fxdscon for the FreeScan User Guide but it doesn't show how to program the CREST system into my scanner.

I have created a Freescan file for you to use. You can upload this data to your 996 scanner. It is in a zip file ... but you can use the contained (Crest.996) file to program your scanner.

To program your scanner, you can use the "Upload Programming" from the scanner menu item. You will have to save the contents of the zip file first to your computer and open the file in Freescan.

If you want to save your scanner programming you already have .. you can do so with the Freescan program first using the "Download Programming" menu item from the Scanner menu item.

Hope this helps ..

Attachments

• Crest.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 128

Regent

Thank you very much Kevin for your help! Am pretty sure I can follow your instruction! Will let you know how it turn out!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

OK, sorry. I misread your post, I thought you were asking for step by step help on using the freescan program.

Can someone tell me step by step how to use the Freescan program?

Status
Not open for further replies.