• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Need to mount two DIN radios in my 2004 Toyota Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2IRT

Hi all,
I would like to remove the factory stereo from my 2004 Tacoma pickup and install a standard DIN sized stereo and my Bearcat BCD996xt scanner. I was all set to get this done when the shop I planned to hire said the dash kit is not quite 2 DIN units high (he said it was about 1.75 or 1.8 units). Since they normally do just car stereos, and not 2-ways or scanners, he didn't know what to advise me to do and frankly I'm stumped myself.

Has anybody successfully mounted a 996 or any similarly-sized scanner plus a stereo in a 2000-2004 series Tacoma? I've seen a lot of 2005+ installs, but haven't found one yet for my year.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

PACNWDude

I had a 2000 Toyota Corolla with an almost double DIN opening as well. It had a factory stereo on top and a small storage bin underneath.

I bought a Nissan Sentra double DIN install kit and put a new stereo on top. I then modified the bottom portion to fit a DIN sized RS scanner. This combination fit the opening in the dash, but the trim piece needed to be cut back about 1/8th inch around the outside edge of the scanner to fit back on. I then just put some black door trim piece around the outside edge to make it look finished.

This vehicle has been gone for a while. If I find any pictures of it, I will post them.
It is a lot easier on newer vehicles with true double DIN openings.

PACNWDude

In my "Radio Shack" pictures on my profile I show how I stacked two Vertex VX-3200 radios in the storage bin in my Pontiac. Did it almost the same way as a double DIN. I just bought a spare storage bin and cut it up to fit radios.

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
Good luck

Yeah, I did it in my 2008 and it took a while to get it right. You might have to first see if there is a faceplate that will fit your truck, then see if it is 2 DIN wide/tall. After that, it's easier to find a way to modify existing mounting brackets to fit the gear you want to install. It took me two sets of mounting brackets and faceplates to get a combination that worked.

W2IRT

From what I understand it's not QUITE 2 DIN units high, and that's the problem. The aftermarket dash kit is 1.8 DIN high, so there will be some customization required for sure. I'm content to let a pro do the work, but I just want to know if it's even doable.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Yep. I have a 2002 Sequoia and had to enlarge the opening a bit (I have an aftermarket DIN stereo and a 996T). I used a sander. A Dremel with sanding wheels would have been better.

Thayne

I did it too, but had to trim the bezel a bit and bought some stock brackets from Toyota parts; you can also get a new bezel if you ever want to put it back to original---

W2IRT

Sorry, having trouble visualizing what you mean by the bezel. Any pics of a 2000-2004 install would be greatly appreciated here.

Thayne

Sorry, having trouble visualizing what you mean by the bezel. Any pics of a 2000-2004 install would be greatly appreciated here.

Sorry, by the Bezel I meant the whole piece of plastic that includes the 2 vents with louvers and goes around the radio & storage box (if so equipped)

Sorry no pix

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
ty6udenu.jpg

hill2jb

Premium Subscriber
The other thing you could think of doing is maybe getting a remote head for the scanner, and mounting that on the dash, with the scanner body under the seat. I know it's expensive, but it might run you less than trying to fabricate something. Check out my thread on 2008 Tacoma Scanner install. That was with a full 2 DIN compartment, and it BARELY fits in there. I wouldn't do it any other way, but just be aware that it did take a lot of frustration. While you're at it, I would highly recommend wiring it straight to the battery.

Thayne

That pix above shows exactly why you have to hog out the bezel--the scanners are a little bigger on the face than the stock din radios.

W2IRT

I got mine in, finally, at a pro installer along with a modest AM/FM. Nice and solid, no rattles or other troubles. I had them wire it always-on and had the orange wire connected to the headlight switch, but my vision kinda needs the full brightness at night so that got clipped a week later.

Scanner%20install_Small.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-02-11 15.55.29.jpg
    2014-02-11 15.55.29.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 864

nyair1

Hi all,
I would like to remove the factory stereo from my 2004 Tacoma pickup and install a standard DIN sized stereo and my Bearcat BCD996xt scanner. I was all set to get this done when the shop I planned to hire said the dash kit is not quite 2 DIN units high (he said it was about 1.75 or 1.8 units). Since they normally do just car stereos, and not 2-ways or scanners, he didn't know what to advise me to do and frankly I'm stumped myself.

Has anybody successfully mounted a 996 or any similarly-sized scanner plus a stereo in a 2000-2004 series Tacoma? I've seen a lot of 2005+ installs, but haven't found one yet for my year.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Did you look online at crutchfield.com to see if they offer a double din mounting plate for your truck? They sell alot of different car stereo stuff. There is a page you can go to and put in the year and make and they tell you what will fit in the dash. Pretty good site for install info.

W2IRT

Chris, see the pic above; that was the final installation by the local shop. They only needed to grind down the bezel about 1/4" to fit the 996 and the stereo. Very very happy with the final result!

W2IRT

SAMM Sound on Bloomfield Avenue in West Caldwell. If you have a straight double-DIN opening -- my truck didn't -- it will be a simple installation for them; probably an hour or thereabouts. They had to do a custom job on my truck since the opening is about 1.8 DIN high. With the new car stereo and installing the antenna, the labour was 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.