Need Uniden Protocol Help with Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeg_scan

I am trying to complete a project with my BCT15X and an Arduino.

I have everything done except cannot get a peep from the scanner. So I have a few questions, and am wondering if someone could help me on this one.

First .. what pins are used on the BACK of the scanner for remote communication ? I believe it may be pin 2 for receive on the scanner and pin 3 for transmit from the scanner. Also, do I need to use a RS232 to TTL device ?

I have not been able to get a peep back from the scanner when I send a command .. ie GLG. That is the only command I need to use .. as I just want the channel data.

I can connect to the scanner on the back using a DB9 null modem cable and use virtual control (ARC-XT Pro) or RC-Control and have it work.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:

yeg_scan

It is almost done .. just need the protocol part from the scanner. It may be an Arduino issue .. but would like some feedback before buying some hardware that is not needed. Btw .. the below is a screenshot. Raw data, Raw data average, Percent vs Strong Signal, dBm, S-Units (old school, with S0 being where it breaks the squelch), S-Units per IARU, uV reading, channel data (test data below), Bar graph, and Active signal indicator.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 33

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I am trying to complete a project with my BCT15X and an Arduino.

I have everything done except cannot get a peep from the scanner. So I have a few questions, and am wondering if someone could help me on this one.

First .. what pins are used on the BACK of the scanner for remote communication ? I believe it may be pin 2 for receive on the scanner and pin 3 for transmit from the scanner. Also, do I need to use a RS232 to TTL device ?

I have not been able to get a peep back from the scanner when I send a command .. ie GLG. That is the only command I need to use .. as I just want the channel data.

I can connect to the scanner on the back using a DB9 null modem cable and use virtual control (ARC-XT Pro) or RC-Control and have it work.

Thanks
Kevin
You are right on the Pin Outs 2 for Rx and 3 is for Tx also pin 4 is for the GPS and pin 5 is for ground and not for sure what pin 7 is for maybe TTL data.....

yeg_scan

Thanks for the reply. I have a friend coming over today with some test gear. We are going to see what is going on .. so I think I will be good. I am using an Uno right now but may go to a Mega due to the extra communication capabilities. But I will see what today brings.

yeg_scan

Yes .. but determined that the Anduino is sending TTL data, which the scanner does not like as it is RS232. I need the RS232 converter. I will get one ordered and report back.

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
Yes .. but determined that the Anduino is sending TTL data, which the scanner does not like as it is RS232. I need the RS232 converter. I will get one ordered and report back.

If you try a command that controls the scanner (i.e. "KEY,H,P") to put scanner in HOLD, and it does, that means the scanner is receiving the commands but the Arduino is not receiving the response. You might try a pull up or down resistor on the RX pin and see if that works. (4.7k)

John

yeg_scan

We used a Picoscope to look at the data being sent etc. We tried the MNU command as a sample, and the scanner did not respond as needed. It will be a week until I can proceed. I will post back when I have made more progress.

yeg_scan

I ordered a couple of these for projects. I am working on one for my shack and in the future, likely one for the car. So I should get it here on Wednesday (thanks FedEx, they are wonderful for international shipping, unlike UPS). But will need to do some testing first ... but it should work fine as far as I can tell. You can get them here at Sparkfun if anyone is interested. I did not go with the $0.99 ones from China as they tend to overheat etc .. so going with better quality ones. As shipping costs are high here outside the US .. it is all about not having to do it again.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 8

yeg_scan

I am well aware of that .. and as you may have seen, my project is done now. The only thing I may add for home use is the ability to get the distance from A-B for home use from a repeater. But I have no room on the screen .. so I will have to see about that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.