Pro-106: Needs Programmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtrobinson

I am trying to program the pro 106. I had a gentleman at radio shack do it for me when i bought it. Thet are out of business so... I am in Franklin County PA and looking for help? Any suggestions on program for the computer or how to manually enter the information? I watched videos on you tube about the 106 but the information i get from here doesn't seem to match what they go through.

troymail

Silent Key
Programming via the keypad on scanners is possible but it can be tedious.

Simple conventional channels are fairly straight forward but then attaching the label/alpha tag descriptors is even more tedious.

Trunk systems - even more. There is a step-by-step for basic programming posted here.

The best way to program your radio is be PC software like Win500 and a programming cable. If you can cut and paste, that's all you need. If you want it to be a little easier, then you'll also need a Radio Reference Premium account to pull the data direct from the RRDB into the programming software.

To be clear, there are 3 different needs inditified above - all have a separrate source and cost:

1. Win500 - download here (free 30 day trial - $30 for a license after that)
  2. Programming cable - $30
  3. Radio Reference Premium account - $15 for 180 days
If you get the software and the cable, I'll be happy to help you get it programmed.

Last edited:

pinkfish457

I have the exact same setup and troymail is right, it's easy to use. You can download several systems from the RR database and program them into the Pro-106 as needed.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Pro106

I am trying to program the pro 106. I had a gentleman at radio shack do it for me when i bought it. Thet are out of business so... I am in Franklin County PA and looking for help? Any suggestions on program for the computer or how to manually enter the information? I watched videos on you tube about the 106 but the information i get from here doesn't seem to match what they go through.

I have looked at the things you can hear on your Pro106. Due to encryption, you have limited choices. For instance, you won't be hearing Franklin SO because they have encrypted their transmissions. You also have limited talk groups for some LE agencies. But, the Highway Patrol seems to be within the grasp of your radio.

This type of programming does not take too long. For me to do this, PM me (your PM is not activated on RR) and send me an email address so that I can attach the file. If this is something you want to do, you will need to buy the Win500 trial since I am sending a file in that format. Let me know.

Programming that radio through that narrow window is akin to self-flagellation. Software is the only way to fly.

Last edited:

TES

. . . you will need to buy the Win500 trial . . .

No need to "buy" the trial! Buying (registering) is an option after the thirty day trial period. From Don Starr's site:

Win500 is not "freeware". It is copyrighted software. It is distributed as a fully-functional, time-limited trial version which will expire after 30 days. If you wish to continue using the software after the trial period expires, it must be registered. The registration fee is $30.00 US.

trp2525

Getting the programming cable is the hardest part.

The referenced PC programming cable from Whistler is $29.95 (plus shipping and any applicable sales tax). The Whistler cable will work just fine with the PRO-106 but it DOES NOT include the stereo-to-mono adapter which is required to program some other older scanner models (see list below). This may or may not be important to the individual purchaser of the Whistler cable.

You can purchase this fully-compatible PC programming cable (with FTDI Chip) on eBay for $22.95 with FREE shipping included and no sales tax: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shac...O-197-PRO-651-PRO-652-20-546-500/151446649833 This cable INCLUDES the stereo-to-mono adapter which is required if you want to use the same cable to program any of the older scanner models in the list below.

"These scanners need the 3.5mm 1/8" Mono Adapter included:

Radio Shack PRO-160 PRO-162 PRO-2051 PRO-2053 PRO-2067 PRO-2096 PRO-433 PRO-528 PRO-79 PRO-82 PRO-83 PRO-84 PRO-89 PRO-93 PRO-94 PRO-95 PRO-96 PRO-99

Uniden BC245XLT BC345XLT"

lou9155

ive tried manual programming my pro651(kinda similar).was futile...i second troymails post about software programming..it will be a breeze...give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.