• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Never hear anyone on 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm in an area where the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95 and I 295 All Connect. I'm right near the turnpike Bridge between Pennsylvania and New Jersey in Bristol PA with many many truck stops in the general area. For years the CB radio was so busy on 19 and other channels. There are trucks everywhere here due to the nature of the industry in the area. Now you here absolutely nothing. Nothing. Channel 19 is as quiet as Channel 9. It's been that way for about a year now and before that happened we would just have the mentally unstable morons talkin with much profanity and playing music and so forth that you just had to shut the radio off it was useless. Even they are gone now. You also don't see any CB antennas on 18-wheelers anymore. I don't know what the hookers use at the truck stops anymore as it was a very valuable tool for them.

RodStrong

When traveling, the only time I hear much of anything on Ch 19 is when there's a big traffic jam and guys are whining about the delay and talking trash.

TheSpaceMann

I'm in an area where the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-95 and I 295 All Connect. I'm right near the turnpike Bridge between Pennsylvania and New Jersey in Bristol PA with many many truck stops in the general area. For years the CB radio was so busy on 19 and other channels. There are trucks everywhere here due to the nature of the industry in the area. Now you here absolutely nothing. Nothing. Channel 19 is as quiet as Channel 9. It's been that way for about a year now and before that happened we would just have the mentally unstable morons talkin with much profanity and playing music and so forth that you just had to shut the radio off it was useless. Even they are gone now. You also don't see any CB antennas on 18-wheelers anymore. I don't know what the hookers use at the truck stops anymore as it was a very valuable tool for them.
The Lot Lizards are still around in the South and Southwest! ;)

Wally46

Feed Provider
I'm one of the lucky ones. I live in a town with many factories in the area and two bridges that trucks use to come into Iowa from Illinois or vise versa. Some of the factories actually use CB channels to communicate with the trucks. I scan all 40 channels and always hear conversations etc going on. There are also a bunch of us locals that hang out on 17. But yeah, I can drive on Interstate 80 for many miles and not hear anything. Sad

sprite1741

When the skip is in every channel is blasting. Channel 6 usually starts out first. My scan locked on channel 6 last week for about 30 seconds of mayhem then it faded out. I think they were in so. Cal. Had an opening 3 weeks ago to Seattle and BC for several hours one evening. No sunspots now so it's rare but still happens. Get off 19, unless your at a truck stop, that's the only place I hear that channel often unless skip is in. For locals during no skip, keep scanning all 40.

sprite1741

Skips in today, Georgia, Florida, Brazil, Dominican Republic talking to west coast. Every channel is blasting. Yea someone on here said CB is dead. LOL. Channel 19 busy today. 10 meter ham too.

Attachments

• skip 10-7.jpg
    skip 10-7.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Skips in today, Georgia, Florida, Brazil, Dominican Republic talking to west coast. Every channel is blasting. Yea someone on here said CB is dead. LOL. Channel 19 busy today. 10 meter ham too.

Do you use AM or SSB to get skip talking?

sprite1741

I was busy today so mostly listening to ssb. My point in posting is CB is not dead. Get on. Not that it makes much difference but the FCC rescinded the 150 mile limit. Skip or local enjoy the radio.

FiveFilter

The CB is still a very useful tool on the road because a lot of truckers still use it as a tool for reporting road blockages, wrecks, equipment failures, etc to each other.

However:

It is no longer much of a social network to alleviate loneliness as it might have been years ago. That has been taken up by the Internet.

It is no longer as much of an entertainment tool to alleviate boredom. That has been taken up by not only the Internet, but by satellite radio and TV.

It is no longer as much of a tool to report problems to and to get help from the police. That has been taken up by the cell phone.

Nevertheless,the CB is still an important tool for truckers to communicate among themselves. I witnessed this last week, when a wreck obstructed a major Interstate going over a swamp, which backed up and/or stopped traffic for hours. But I heard on Channel 19 about an alternate route about 10 miles away that could avoid the terrible delay if you chose that route before getting mired in the traffic. Those who had a CB tuned to 19 heard about it and saved themselves a lot of time and frustration. Among those was Yours Truly.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I put my CB in the car for a recent road trip, almost totally dead. I've got a Cobra 29 LX and it has a scan feature for the 40 channels. Not much activity.

I hope we won't see too many other states adopt the Delaware law that pretty much ends CB talking. Unless your public service or a business that uses radio dispatch, you cannot have a mike in your hand while driving. The strictest 'distracted driving' law in the country. Apparently the law dates from 2011 and hasn't been changed since then. :(

FiveFilter

I wonder if it occurs to lawmakers that having a passenger or passengers in the car represents perhaps the biggest distraction known to man, or woman, or those with an X on the gender line.

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I drive a big truck, I always have my radio on 19. lots of new young drivers don't have a CB. Its all about cell phones and tablets. Some companies don't order new trucks with the CB package anymore. Most of the time you will hear drivers chatting while running together. Old school drivers still use it.

KD0PEZ

From what I've gathered, not many truck drivers use CB anymore. It could be the newer ones think it's an outdated tool. Or the truck itself lacks the groundplane required. Some have grown tired of the crap sometimes heard on the airwaves, or the skip that interferes with when they just want to talk up the road a few miles.

CB is now known as a "backup radio", because the main time you hear it used, is when there's a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.