New 2019 Odyssey Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Continued from the Installation forum at https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/the-new-odyssey-odyssey-–-2019-style.384615/:

This morning I finished the initial install for my new 2019 Honda Odyssey. In the past I preferred the Odyssey and Honda Pilot as they have deep wells in the rear cargo area that is perfect for mounting radios and running remote heads and speakers to the front. This is no exception other than I really don't need it now.

The 2019 Honda Odyssey is unusual in that there is a pass-thru area between the dashboard and center console, as far as I know the only vehicle with this in a higher trim level. This apparently allows one to slide over from one seat to another, but why anyone would is anyone's guess. The area is also used for the slide area of a storage drawer but I think the real intent is for stashing a purse. Since I no longer carry a purse and don't need the storage drawer (there is plenty of storage elsewhere) I claimed this area for my radios. See the Install thread linked above for photos before the installation and you will see what I mean.

Once I got the bracket assembly completed, fit and painted I was ready to install it. First however I ran the antennas. I used magmounts for now and will arrange to have the NMO hole mounts installed later this month along with the power realay. I used 3 Tram 5-inch NMO magmounts with rubber boots, 2 with SMA and one with a PL259, each has 17-foot cables. The PL259 mount was used for the Alinco and the SMA's for the scanners with SMA to BNC adapters. This allows me to repurpose these for future use with a 436, SDS100 or HP2 for long trips.

It took an hour or so to install and cable-manage the rack and tie up some loose ends. I found that the 536 was deaf and tracked that down to a bad right-angle adapter. The pin was bent on the male end, once replaced it worked like a champ. Once the new antennas are mounted I will no longer need an angle adapter.

As I said in the prior thread I plan on having a friend from the local woodworking club fashion a permanent mounting bracket assembly. With that and the holemount antennas I will be able to hide all the wires.

Center.jpgClose.jpgCloser.jpgSeated.jpgWindow.jpg

N9JIG

Sheriff
I really like your install, and the 2019 Odyssey console. My 2016 has the beverage cooler right where you mounted your radios, so I can't use that spot.

My prior Odyssey had the beverage cooler too. I was able to remove the center console and use a Troy console after modifying the retention brackets.

N9JIG

Sheriff

K7MFC

WRAA720
Very nicely done, Rich. Do you have antenna pics? How did you run power to all three radios?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Right now I have the dreaded Mag Mounts as I await a professional install of the NMO mounts, the installer will also add a relay-switched power lead to replace the current cigar plug. This has actually been working well the last week or so but I really want to do it right.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Very, Very nice. There is sooo much to monitor in the Phoenix area. Plus so much ham and GMRS to keep you busy. Love the install. It looks fantastic.

Mike

N9JIG

Sheriff
My installer came out today to do the install and it looks great and works even better. He ran 3 NMO mounts to the front of the van and out a small hole in the trim behind the radio stack. He also ran a power lead thru an ignition relay to power the 2 scanners and dual bander.

Here are the antennas. They had to go pretty far back to clear the sunroof pocket and DVD screen but far enough forward to clear the rear hatch.

IMG_2953.jpeg

Here is the wiring brought to behind the stack, once popped in the cables are invisible.

IMG_2962.jpeg

K7MFC

WRAA720
What antenna are you using for the Alinco? I'm looking into this radio to replace the two Kenwoods I have in my truck for 70cm/GMRS and 2m, and I'm wondering what antenna would perform for those bands?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I am using Comet 2m/440 Dual band, it seems to work well for both 440 and 2m as well as on GMRS

Looks like a Comet B-10. Personally I had subpar results from it but for low clearance, etc., applications it may be the best option. There is also a Diamond NR72B which is just slightly taller but similar in design. I still get better from a 1/4 wave whip tuned for 2m (works find on 70cm) and is flexible enough to be hit by limbs or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.