New 536 Has Blown Me away !

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
My new 536 arrived Friday. I could not be happier. There has not been one flaw, hiccup, choke, or whatever. This is the perfect mate for my 436, making one to keep home and one to take on the go.

All the buttons on the front are large enough to see and spaced far enough apart that you do not accidentally push two buttons at the same time. (Unlike that "other" scanner.) The lighting is even and bright enough to see on all buttons. (Unlike that "other" scanner." And one more button issue: it takes only the lightest of touch to activate the button's function. (Unlike that "other" scanner where I had to hold the back of the scanner with one hand while I used the other hand to push) Why go thru that?

I have it connected to the same outdoor antenna as that "other" scanner. The reception blows me away! This radio gets the best reception, clear and loud, than any other scanner I own. (Or used to own)

The very same software used for the 436 is also used for the 536. Once you understand Sentinel, as I do, life could not be easier. Sentinel also gives you the option of what to download for each scanner, all in the same neat package. What a charm this software is.

I really could go on and on all day, but enough said.

There is however still that ONE thing that caused me to fall backwards off my chair when I saw it. I was disappointed when I found this scanner did not have any LED type light for quick reference. All weekend long I was only using the zip code feature to scan with. Today when I downloaded my first 2 systems to it, I discovered that there is a ring around the outside of the scrolling knob that acts as the light! Talk about happy and surprised!! In all my research I never knew this feature existed.

This is one great scanner.

Thank you Upman for the great product(s)that you and the team develop. I am sorry that I strayed from Uniden (for that "other"one) I've learned my lesson.

I'll be glad to answer questions from any prospective 436/536 buyer if I can. Have a great day! Greg

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I understand that the choice of a scanner is an individual one. What one likes the other does not. I am not criticizing anyone's judgement or likes. Anyhow, I had 2 Whistler TRX-2 models. We did not play nice together and they both went back.

Aside from that, my personal evaluation is that I really prefer the 536 to the Whistler. I have a 436 as well, and the two go perfect with each other.

Steve2003

There is however still that ONE thing that caused me to fall backwards off my chair when I saw it. I was disappointed when I found this scanner did not have any LED type light for quick reference.

Are you talking about the alert LED you can configure to light up / blink when a channel is active? If so, get back on your chair, the LED is actually a ring around the silver select / scroll knob.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Today when I downloaded my first 2 systems to it, I discovered that there is a ring around the outside of the scrolling knob that acts as the light! Talk about happy and surprised!! In all my research I never knew this feature existed.

I know. See above. I was saying that I did not know this feature existed. I discovered it this morning when I downloaded two actual systems on the 536 and the ring started flashing.

ande2078

I sure like both of my 36's did the DMR update and have no regrets have the GPS dongle for my 436 so when I'm on the go best scanners I've ever owned

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I love my 536 I'm in Fontana and can actually listen to LaCoFD now full strength

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Good deal, thought you would be happy with it!

Thanks. I'm as giddy as a little girl! I plugged it into my computer this morning, opened up Sentinel with my 436 programming, and it downloaded right to the 536. Then I discovered the "light." Whoaaaaa!

Great reception. Connected to an external speaker and it sounds fine to these 61 year old ears. Large screen. This does more than I will ever use or figure out, but its nice to have.

Thank you for your support cm.

If I could change one thing, it would be the same with the 436 as well: give us the option to leave the LED on longer. My eyes are not so good, and often when I cannot clearly see the screen the LED tells me what I'm hearing. That is, however, very minor.

WX4JCW: Thanks for the video. Great sound/reception.

cm

Thanks. I'm as giddy as a little girl! I plugged it into my computer this morning, opened up Sentinel with my 436 programming, and it downloaded right to the 536. Then I discovered the "light." Whoaaaaa!

Great reception. Connected to an external speaker and it sounds fine to these 61 year old ears. Large screen. This does more than I will ever use or figure out, but its nice to have.

Thank you for your support cm.

If I could change one thing, it would be the same with the 436 as well: give us the option to leave the LED on longer. My eyes are not so good, and often when I cannot clearly see the screen the LED tells me what I'm hearing. That is, however, very minor.

WX4JCW: Thanks for the video. Great sound/reception.

Yea, I have to use the volume offset on +2 to listen to the 536 at home. I don't have a so called listening post, it just sits on the table beside where i usually sit at.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
My base stations sit on my desk where I normally work during the day. I want to get some pics but I need to do a little more work on it yet.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
greggk, you must be mistaken. Haven't you seen all the posts saying it's a piece of junk. That and the 436 are becoming paperweights because they don't work. :lol:

greggk

Premium Subscriber
greggk, you must be mistaken. Haven't you seen all the posts saying it's a piece of junk. That and the 436 are becoming paperweights because they don't work. :lol:

Truth be told...none of my Unidens work right. My new 536 is really junk but I don't want to return any more scanners. It came with a frayed power cord and I'm afraid to plug it in. My 436 is sitting on my desk beeping at me. Its been beeping for 2 days non stop..just taunting me. And if Upman is ever looking for work, I have a yard he can cut. :lol:

(Disclaimer: I'm joking)

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I've been using the TRX-1and 2 for past few weeks. Best scanners I have ever owned are still the 436HP and 536HP. Said it before and will say it again, if I could afford and only own one portable and one base scanner: hands down the x36HPs. If I want a smaller one for just air, mil air, railroad, and marine, throw the BC125AT into the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.