New Ascension P-25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsdtech

Has anyone else been having problems with garbled voice reception on the new Ascension P-25 system? There seems to be only 1 control channel. I'm using a PRO-106 and have changed the sys setting from MOT Type 1 & 2 to P-25. I'm getting the talk groups but am only hearing Fire/EMS. APSO DISP is totally garbled. I've searched here and have played with the settings, P-25 Manual, Narrow FM, etc., have full scale/99% on the C.C., tried ATT but nothing has helped. Anyone??

fireman1417

What control channel are you catching them on? The last couple weeks I couldn't pick up Ascension - East at all. I checked all of my control channels and had what the database shows but could not pick up the control channel.
I always found when listening to their system that the sheriff dept talkgroup transmissions had a bad motorboat noise at the beginning of each key up. Sometimes it would last a few seconds and garble the radio traffic. It was always the sheriff's office talkgroup that sounded like that. I never saw encryption, but it seemed like something on the digital channels just wasn't right. I have a 396 and listen to LWIN and never heard it bad on any other system like this one.
If anyone has the current control channel and its different from what the database shows, please post and update.

kevins669

Database Admin
Check their assigned general use 700 MHz channels. I believe they are migrating their system.
Code:

hsdtech

The only control channel I have found is 853.4125. I think the main APSO Dispatch talk group id is 10750.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
APSO Dispatch, Narcotics, and Detectives are all encrypted 100% of the time. That's the garble you speak of. On the 396XT it will flash between DAT, LINK, and ENC next to the frequency on line 3.

hsdtech

APSO Dispatch, Narcotics, and Detectives are all encrypted 100% of the time. That's the garble you speak of. On the 396XT it will flash between DAT, LINK, and ENC next to the frequency on line 3.

Can I ask how you know for sure it is encrypted? They just changed about a week and half ago.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Can I ask how you know for sure it is encrypted? They just changed about a week and half ago.
As he has not responded to you again, I would suggest you re-read his previous post, quoted below. Note the bolding I added.

ENC=Encrypted

hsdtech

What control channel are you catching them on? The last couple weeks I couldn't pick up Ascension - East at all. I checked all of my control channels and had what the database shows but could not pick up the control channel.
I always found when listening to their system that the sheriff dept talkgroup transmissions had a bad motorboat noise at the beginning of each key up. Sometimes it would last a few seconds and garble the radio traffic. It was always the sheriff's office talkgroup that sounded like that. I never saw encryption, but it seemed like something on the digital channels just wasn't right. I have a 396 and listen to LWIN and never heard it bad on any other system like this one.
If anyone has the current control channel and its different from what the database shows, please post and update.

Fireman1417, can you confirm the encryption with your 396t? The control channel is 853.4125 P25. I think the new APSO Disp Talk Group is 10750, 10751.

hsdtech

As he has not responded to you again, I would suggest you re-read his previous post, quoted below. Note the bolding I added.

ENC=Encrypted

I had asked him because if he is in Sulphur, then he is about 250 miles away from Ascension.

fireman1417

Ok, I did a search on the FCC and it appears Ascension has 2 new systems recently licensed. It also shows a "related" box with callsigns for the 2 old systems. These new channels are showing an entirely new control channel ID - 454h, with 2 sites showing up. Site 101 has control channel 853.4125 and site 102 has control channel 772.55625. My best guess is they are finally linking the 2 old east and west systems into 1 simulcast system. So far all channels I've seen show ENC, these include 10750, 10756 and 10771.
On a side note, I've been picking up some Ascension traffic on LWIN 10501 which has be non-encrypted. I'm not sure if the have a patch while they are getting this new setup running.

kevins669

Database Admin
Ok, I did a search on the FCC and it appears Ascension has 2 new systems recently licensed. It also shows a "related" box with callsigns for the 2 old systems. These new channels are showing an entirely new control channel ID - 454h, with 2 sites showing up. Site 101 has control channel 853.4125 and site 102 has control channel 772.55625. My best guess is they are finally linking the 2 old east and west systems into 1 simulcast system. So far all channels I've seen show ENC, these include 10750, 10756 and 10771.
On a side note, I've been picking up some Ascension traffic on LWIN 10501 which has be non-encrypted. I'm not sure if the have a patch while they are getting this new setup running.

They have migrated to a P25 system, expanded capacity, and not built a simulcast system... it has two separate sites.

...Try gathering as much information as possible, and I will update the DB further.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber

Their radio system manager told my dad and it has been said several times in the GAMA (Geismar Area Mutual Aid) meetings. My dad lives in Dutchtown and when I go to visit I scan and use Unitrunker to decode, plus I have several friends on Fire Departments and some that work for the Sheriff's Office.

Last edited:

fireman1417

From what I can tell, both of the listed Ascension systems East and West are off the air, I'm not picking up any control channels for them. I haven't had time to follow every single frequency that pops up on the new system to see if they just rolled all of those from the old systems into one new system but thats what it would seem to me.
As I posted earlier, these ID's come up "ENC" on the new system: 10750, 10751, 10756, and 10771, and are more than likely the SO and PD Dispatches and probably TACs.
I did find a couple clear talk channels.
10790 appears to be Geismar Area Mutual Aid, i caught them doing their roll call a few days ago.
10796 appears to be Gonzales Fire Dispatch, i heard Eng 11 get dispatched for a medical. I didn't confirm yet if this is only Gonz. Disp or if its still like it was before "City Dispatch" with Gonzales and Prairieville together.
I'll keep listening as I have time and post some channels.

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
I'm making another trip over there in two weeks and I will confirm more. From what I understand they were supposed to go to one parishwide fire dispatch and several fireground channels. My dad has a 396XT but has no clue how to search I have to program it for him. I will let everyone know what I find out when I get there. I will try to get ahold of a friends radio and run Unitrunker on it.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I will also be traveling to the area next week but only passing through on I-10 on the way to LaPlace. Although I will be there (LaPlace) for a week, I am not sure I can break away long enough to go back up the road to see what is what. If I do, I will also report back.

shew

i know that new cc 7XX.XXXX on the donaldsonville tower is stronger...as i am picking it up in pierre part..which before it would barely come in now it is loud and clear....i am hearing traffic on it the police/s.o. side must be encrypted....but i am hearing fire calls in the clear...

shew

I submitted some vc's to be added to the db....and a couple of tg's that are in the clear....seems like the s.o./p.d. Tg's dispatching channels are encrypted..

KC5AJP

Premium Subscriber
With the help of Unitrunker and a friend of mine, the fire department channels have been identified. I had another friend try switching through the Law Enforcement channels, but the were not coming up on Unitrunker. I'm not sure if that is because they are encrypted, but I have never had that problem before. Law channels are encrypted and can't be monitored anyway so no big deal. Add that to the fact she was busy and couldn't stand there all day playing with the radio. I will try again if I get a chance and my friend is willing to cooperate again. The ID's I found have been submitted.

budman61

Premium Subscriber
So I guess we just don't get to listen to much local chat. I would have saved the money I spent on this 996xt if I had known this.

Status
Not open for further replies.