• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New birmingham pd radios

Status
Not open for further replies.
So will they actually be using Phase 2 or will their radios only be capable of doing it? Just curious because I'm still using a Pro-96 for this system and it's my understanding that it won't do Phase 2.

thanks morgan for the type of radio ,

the supervisors seem to have the alpha/ displays.
and line officers have the non display units

they are phase 2 capable. my understanding is they are going to phase 1.
plans are to move over to the statewide system.
the current system is not phase 1 .

morgan can maybe go into the tech details

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
They can fully convert the current system over to AFRN in about an years time maximum. From my understanding, they already have new P25 sites there, and that is exactly what they are doing.

Interesting. Guess I better start saving up for a new scanner. My Pro-96's have served me well the past 10 years or so.

Hopefully nothing will change as far as our ability to monitor the system goes, if you catch my drift.

There are already a few sites on the air. I believe the APX can do Smartnet in addition to P-25 Phase 1 & 2 so it would be easier to transition to the new system. The system is already tied in to the Statewide system, it's just a matter of converting all of the sites and radios.

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
All the radios for Birmingham Fire were exchanged for the APX series last month. We were supposed to have the automated dispatch online last June but I've heard no mention of it since then. Eventually all users of the Jeffco system will move to the AFRN P25 Phase II system. As of now, the dispatch talkgroups will be in the clear and tactical talkgroups encrypted. Hoover and Shelby County S.O. will also be moving to the AFRN system in the very new future.
The sites currently used for the Jeffco system will be used for the AFRN system and the old system will depreciate.

milf

Careful, I CAN hear you!
Database Admin
ALL Fire Tacs will be E. ALL LE Tacs E, and we pray LE doesnt go all out E like is the prevalance on the AFRN. At 50% E now... What is whacky though about Bama and E.. Is that they go E on PD, E on FD.. But where everyone else is E on EMS they stay ITC. Not complaining, just saying how wierd it is....

Irishfireguy3622

Premium Subscriber
ALL Fire Tacs will be E. ALL LE Tacs E, and we pray LE doesnt go all out E like is the prevalance on the AFRN. At 50% E now... What is whacky though about Bama and E.. Is that they go E on PD, E on FD.. But where everyone else is E on EMS they stay ITC. Not complaining, just saying how wierd it is....
I'm picking up what you're putting down. The way you typed all that mess though...Jeeezzzz?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.