New Britain P25 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

heh1994

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon,

I recently got a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. I was hoping to listen to the New Britain Police, as I'm here nearly every day. However, I have noticed that just the audio from the dispatcher on the main police dispatch channel is garbled. I am able to hear the officers calling into dispatch or talking to each other clearly, just not the dispatcher. I am also able to hear other police/fire/ems talkgroups clearly. It doesn't specify on the RR database that the audio is encrypted, however that sure is what it sounds like. I have no issues listening to CSP and other various digital and/or P25 systems in the area. Does anyone have any insight on if NBPD has started doing a part-time encryption on their audio? Any help from anyone with experience with this system would be appreciated. If it is of any help, I am usually listening from the area of CCSU in town. Thanks!

Septa3371CSX1

I noticed encryption in use on the main police talkgroup when I was passing through the area 9 days ago. Seemed to me like it was all encrypted but I wasn't in range for long. It's possible the talkgroup has selectable encryption and someone switched it on at the console but the field units are still mostly in the clear. Berkeley Township in Ocean County, NJ uses P25 conventional repeaters with the main dispatch console encrypted and the field units in the clear so this method is not unheard of.

heh1994

Premium Subscriber
Bummer...half the reason I bought it was to listen to new britain and the other half was to listen to waterbury when I'm working there...at least I know that'll work!!!

MFCJR

The police encryption is all over the place. Sometimes dispatch is in the clear for a day or more then it's off. Same as the cars. It seems there is no standard in how it is used. It's been that way from the start of their new system. I mostly listen to just the Fire/EMS. You should also program CCSU police and Newington.

heh1994

Premium Subscriber
Thanks MFCJR...I listen to Newington and the CCSU police pretty frequently. This was my first P25 Phase 2 capable scanner, and I was excited to listen to NBPD, I'll definitely keep trying though if you say its hit or miss. I just more wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, as this is my first phase 2 system that I've ever tried to listen to. Figured I couldn't be messing it up too bad since I've never had an issue with phase 1 systems before!

MFCJR

You are not messing anything up. The dispatch can be more miss then hit. But there are times when they stay in the clear for several days. It's just hard to say how often by the way they use it. Wethersfield is P25 Phase 2 all in the clear and comes in well in this area if you want to try them out.

Marcelangers

Good afternoon,

I recently got a Uniden BCD325P2 scanner. I was hoping to listen to the New Britain Police, as I'm here nearly every day. However, I have noticed that just the audio from the dispatcher on the main police dispatch channel is garbled. I am able to hear the officers calling into dispatch or talking to each other clearly, just not the dispatcher. I am also able to hear other police/fire/ems talkgroups clearly. It doesn't specify on the RR database that the audio is encrypted, however that sure is what it sounds like. I have no issues listening to CSP and other various digital and/or P25 systems in the area. Does anyone have any insight on if NBPD has started doing a part-time encryption on their audio? Any help from anyone with experience with this system would be appreciated. If it is of any help, I am usually listening from the area of CCSU in town. Thanks!

Any luck figuring new Britain out..? I have same problem and was wondering if you've gotten anywhere..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.