NEW BROADCASTER NEEDING HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

metromedic

Hey guys! I need help. I am broadcasting my feed and it sounds like crap. Can anyone help me out. I will post a reply with the link to the feed so you can hear it. I dont want to provide a bad feed. I am using my laptop to provide the feed i dont know if that matters. Thanks in advance!

GordonE

Live Audio Administrator
Feed Provider
i checked the audio that was recorded from your feed earlier today and the problem in that audio clip was that the volume knob on the scanner was turned up way way way way too high which was causing extreme clipping due to the fact that your computer's sound card could capture only a fraction of the audio.

metromedic

i checked the audio that was recorded from your feed earlier today and the problem in that audio clip was that the volume knob on the scanner was turned up way way way way too high which was causing extreme clipping due to the fact that your computer's sound card could capture only a fraction of the audio.

could it be as well that I am using the mic jack on the laptop? if so what are your ideas sir? I so want to work this out and make it work for the people.

castlecain

Broadcaster needing help

If possible, take the audio from the tape out jack on the scanner, this allows you
to use your volume control for your own listening preference as the tape out
is a fixed level. If you do not have a tape out, then consider getting a tech to
take the audio from the board at another point after the audio is filtered but
before it goes to the volume control. If it is still too loud after adjustment of
the computer sound card (hope it has a line in), you might want to consider a small
mixer between the devices.

jim202

Either make yourself a pad to drop the audio level down between the radio and the computer or turn the mic gain down on the computer.

You might also need to put a series capacitor in line to block any DC that the scanner might be putting out. Almost any cap will do in the 1.0 to 10.0 uf range. If you use too large of a cap, it will cause the voice high frequency to go away. A trial and error is the only way to find out what size works for you.

QDP2012

Try the simpler things first

Before contacting a technician or attempting to modify the scanner, I would recommend trying several things first:
  • Step 1A: As mentioned above, check the scanner for a "line out" jack, different than the "headphone" jack. If "line out" exists, then connect it to "line in" on your computer (often a blue-jack not the pink/red-jack on the computer).

• Step 1B: If "line out" is not an option on the scanner, then connect the headphone jack to the "line in" jack on the computer, instead of the "mic" jack on the computer. Only use the computer's "mic" jack as the last resort.

• Step 2: Regardless of which jack you use on the radio, after connecting to the computer, turn down the volume on the scanner to its minimum/no-sound position. Then increase the scanner-volume slightly. Open the squelch on the scanner. While listening to the static-noise caused by the open squelch, use the computer's "Volume settings" (the control in the system-tray, not the knobs on your speakers) to set the volume for "line-in" or "mic", depending on which one you plugged into.

• Step 3: You should be able to hear the static-sound on your computer. After you set the computer-volume at the lowest-volume at which you think you would be able to understand radio-transmissions, then adjust the squelch to silence it, and let the scanner start scanning.

• Step 4: When radio-traffic is frequent enough, you can set the scanner in manual mode (or pause mode) on the busy channel, and make any fine-adjustments you need to make using the computer's volume-settings, so that radio-traffic sounds clear. If the computer's volume-settings are max'ed out, then consider slightly increasing the volume on the scanner itself. But, in general, the scanner's volume should be as low as possible so that the signal is clear, clean, and not over-driving the computer's input-jack circuits.

So, ideally, the scanner's volume would be at about 10-15%, the computer's volume-settings would be at around 65%, and your computer speaker's knobs would only need to be 25-50% depending on your level of ambient noise.

Once you make the adjustments, try to listen to the feed's volume from another computer, or ask someone to check the feed's volume for you.

Your exact settings might differ slightly from the above suggestions, but many scanners can be connected to a computer without major modifications. It just might take some careful adjustment to get the right volume-levels -- in and out.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

metromedic

It worked the feed sounds awesome. You guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all so much! I am so happy to be a provider. Just an fyi if you can avoid the new uniden bearcat bc75xlt do so. It only charges the batteries while off and seems to chew through the rechargable batteries.

QDP2012

I'm glad you could get everything adjusted successfully.

On a different note, I don't see a blue "Feed Provider" badge on your posts. I don't know if that matters or not--just thought I'd mention it, since BCFY shows your feed as "online".

Status
Not open for further replies.