TRX-2: New buy problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besty1967

I bought a TRX-2 last week in the UK, I’m having trouble with the sound on the AM reception it works only when the aircraft is virtually overhead. The sound quality is very poor for anything further away. The squelch on the scan cycle has to be on the MAX or it just picks up static. I have a TRX-1 also and with them about 6 inches apart the reception is like chalk and cheese, I’ve tried them with the same antennas but still have the same problem with the TRX-2. The settings are the same for both the scanners.
Would adjusting the DSP make any difference as it’s set for the default settings. I don’t really understand most in the advanced section.
Another problem with the software/scanner is I’m trying to change frequencies for the new 8.33 changes and when I do it on both it changes the last digits from 0 to 3’s, how do I stop it from altering my inputs.
Any advice would be most welcome.

BrianG61UK

I'm also in the UK but I only have a WS1088.

I don't think there should be that much difference between the performance of the TRX-1 and the TRX-2. Check that the attenuator is off on the insensitive scanner; when it's receiving a signal there will be a capital A more or less in the middle of the top row on the display if the attenuator is on.

The Whistler scanners are one of what seems to me to be a relatively small number of scanners that can do the "8.33 kHz" (actually eight and one third kHz) channels properly. But you need to remember that the scanner needs you to input (and will display) the actual frequency that it is tuned to while aircraft and ATC operators use an abbreviated shorthand.

https://833radio.com/news/show/7
https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/default/files/article/content/documents/communications/2016-03-frequency%20table.pdf
https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=76

Last edited:

Besty1967

Thanks for that Brian, I now know that the frequency side isn’t causing me any of the problems. They both have a GA or a G that appears in the centre top screen if they’re turned on but it’s there all the time if selected. I’ve tried both ways and still have the same problem with the TRX-2. I’ve got no problem with the digital side of the scanner, it works fine, it’s just the reception and squelch settings on the TRX-2. The squelch on the TRX-1 is barely on, but has to be on MAX for the TRX-2 to do any scanning or it just fills the speaker with static. I’ve emailed where I bought it from to see if they’ve any ideas.

Ubbe

Does the squelch change if you remove the antenna from the scanner?
Usually a sq setting of 10 will close the squelch on a TRX-2.

/Ubbe

Besty1967

antenna removed

Hello Ubbe, after removing the antenna I can get the squelch down to level 5, before it starts to go off for the static. I don't know if that's any help? I hope you can get something from it.

BrianG61UK

What are you using to power the TRX-2? Could your power supply be a switch mode unit that's generating lots of RF noise?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Besty1967

Brian it was plugged into an extension block, I’ve now moved into a single socket just in case that was causing problems.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It really does sound like power adapter induced noise. Any way you could power it from DC (no AC adapter) to test?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'll add that I'd bet that the adapter was fully tested against noise from a 120V mains. Even though the adapter is rated for 230V, it is quite possible that at that voltage the generated RF characteristics could swamp reception. I see this a lot in the US with new conservation requirements forcing to a switching power supply that obliterates AM broadcast reception on every configuration I've tried.

Ubbe

There's a 12v cable in the box for powering the scanner in a car. Use that cable and connect to any other 12v supply that can give at least 0.8A or use a battery.

Is that squelch also a problem at other FM frequencies or is it just the AM aircraft band that requeires a max sq setting?

One would think that the other scanner would suffer from the same problem if there is some interference signals in the air. Have you tried doing a "Prepeare scanner memory/SD card for use" and then do Fn+0 and enter an aicraft frequency to check if the scannern works ok? It could be some setting that are messed up on the SD card so don't program your scanner until you have tested the reception.

/Ubbe

Besty1967

Squelch settings are still really high but I've since put it onto a mobile antenna mounted in the loft of the house and its picking up much better than before and at a greater distance. I will try it with the car 12v cable to see if this also helps. Thanks for the assistance and I'm looking forward to be able to use this to its full potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.