• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New cb and they do exist

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday had to fork over money for a new cb. Picked up a galaxy 959b along with a firestick 5 footer( npt found of fiberglass whips) we shall see how long it lasts.
Forgive the location and large mouth opening cause this was a used truck when I got it and it is owned by the company I work for. The piece was missing that supposedly has the bracket that came with the truck. Besides that a side mount mic would make it hard to have the whole original mount with plate.
This is a temporary location and houses the power and antenna. It is secure just not pretty. Sure wish freightliner would come out with a cb install already In the upper dash area like kenworth does. Then again that would take away the fun of installing. This truck is going to be a challenge. Since it's a company truck my options are limited. Also have a dual band ham rig I want to install. All types of obstacles in my way. No easy access to power centers inside the truck no easy way to break into the engine compartment with out drilling or really long were runs for power and antenna. Past 18 feet. Hoping they dont take the truck away anytime soon cause I'd hate to do the thought process then have to do it all over again.
Any thoughts and ideas would be welcome as right now I'm thinking a box on the floor would be best so as not to obstruct my view I'll include a picture of the upper dash area.

If I sat down low mounting underneath the dash is workable but really dont like that postion for safe driving. Like to be able to see. I already have one big black box I cant move to save my live would prefer not to had to that black hole. This truck is shall we say not really a radio installers wet dream. Lol.

Dash and windshield ( for those unfamiliar with trucking stuff and to avoid unnecessary questions) yes I am working on a way to minimize the wiring coming from the cupholder are going into my Wilson 12 volt plug extensions( forget what they truly are but they turn my 2 cigarette lighter powers to 4 12v acc and 4 USB outlets) in the dash pic you cant see them so I'll add a pic of them. Yes I know not the prettiest dash but easy to transfer into a different truck if I have to since I am company driver. Going back to dash pic I have on the left is my garmin 5" truck GPS. My sxm onyx commercial free unless you are watch sports, and never have to search for a station. That blue thingy is a pre-pass for scales and ez pass for tolls. That big ugly black thing on my passenger side the ever loving two way dash cam. I flip it the bird every once in a while so if they are viewing, like they say they can't, they know I know they are watching.

Didnt start this out as a show everything but why not. What I wanted to show was what I found in this new cb something that I haven't seen since I was a kid. It's the rules of CB...... 4 pages of them. Lol. I know it's pointless to rehash it I found it funny getting the rules since the fcc really doesn't care about the band hence the illegal linear amplifiers used out there blowing out your window as they pass by hollering audio on the mic cause they like to here them selves speak.

Anyhow that's my current temporary set up. If you have suggestions please feel free to add them. If your just gonna trash my set up please move on I've already trashed my own set up. It ain't pretty but it works and if needed it is moveable. Hoping once i get my own personal vehicle I can show a better set up.
f67f049c26ac6491b4165aa51ebf2133.jpg
913be4147d9784c3710b4e9fc7da61d9.jpg
7063e53a22b1bec0d87b64066a681a3b.jpg
1bd75a0a694a6896faad538eafa2a763.jpg
d19ed739f6ff2211b0979d6b12ea9cd3.jpg
a0e353476b716f40dc8c7adc7e6fb50c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NC1

Considering what you had to work with, that is not bad at all.
I don't care much for fiberglass either but I see them a lot so it can't be that terrible.

I am surprised they used the paper it took to print the rules,
I doubt even 5 people took the time to read any of them except for entertainment purposes.

Considering what you had to work with, that is not bad at all.
I don't care much for fiberglass either but I see them a lot so it can't be that terrible.

I am surprised they used the paper it took to print the rules,
I doubt even 5 people took the time to read any of them except for entertainment purposes.
I read them when I was nine didnt need a license then. So I missed the licensing phase. Sad thing is I've seen the decline into hell cb has gone since fcc gave up enforcing the rules. Not to mention I see more CB's on off road style vehicles and very few truckers have them any more or if they do have them they are either off or at the lowest volume. Those large pileups in the last few years out west could have been avoided if truckers nowadays realized it was a great tool to use for traffic.

NC1

I read them when I was nine didnt need a license then. So I missed the licensing phase

I was probably one of the last few to get a license and still have it. Of course it was free by that time, and the paper ticket was sent by snail mail. It seemed to take forever back in those days.

CB around here is alive and well. About 5 or 6 channels are used regularly, some almost daily. Not many troublemakers in the area so it is almost like going back in time. Maybe the internet and cellphones are keeping the idiots at bay. Of course 6 and 38 are still a mess like they were 30 years ago because of the linear amps. I doubt that will ever change.

I have my Ham and GMRS licenses now, but I do keep the CB in the background sometimes just for fun.

I got my ham and gmrs also. I have to have the cb for work I drive a flatbed and most of our shippers and receivers still use CB. 19 is for lack of better words a washout with politics and racism and stupidity. It's really a shame to cause I do occasionally see cars and SUVs with CB antenna

FiveFilter

I still find channel 19 to be useful for road information such as wrecks, traffic jam bypassing, equipment hanging off the back, etc.

Unfortunately, there are many losers out there with nothing better to do than to disrupt the channel to make everybody as miserable as themselves, but that's what the squelch knob is for. I use it.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Nice radio. Those Galaxys have that old school look. Still have a CB (President AR44) in the four-wheeler just like back in '75 when I got my first Midland 23 channel. I like to listen to the radio chatter.

Enjoy the radio and CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.