New Charles TGID 18880

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Anyone in the area able to monitor TGID 18880 and see if the identity of the channel can be pinned down? It's listed in the database as "MVA", but it's definitely not them. Police agency of some kind, as I just heard a traffic stop go out over it. But it isn't CCSO, and I don't think the MSP barracks. The radio UIDs are in the same range as MSP, though (i2129x and i213xx), but they don't identify as H-*, and the dispatcher (called "Operator") sounds different from the usual MSP dispatchers.

I am thinking this might be MdTA Police for the Nice Bridge, but I am not sure. Those units self-identify as N-1 through N-5 (at least, those are the license plates I've seen on their cars so far), but all I've heard on this channel are possible identifiers as "89572" or other "89***", though I am not positive I heard the actual number "8".

The only other police agencies in Charles outside of those three are DNR and NSWCIH base police. I wouldn't think DNR would be active right now (let alone, pulling someone over on a highway, though they do have that power), and NSWCIH base police should be operating on Indian Head's own P25 system.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Per this:
http://dcscanning.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-talkgroups-found-on-charles-prince.html

Really looks like MdTA finally got a slot on Charles' system. They control that bridge...MVA wouldn't have any involvement. But, I could easily see "MTA" sounding like "MVA", and even though there is a separate agency in MD called MTA (Maryland Transit Administration), they run the trains up in Baltimore. MdTA (Maryland Transportation Authority), who runs all toll facilities in MD, often gets shortened down to "MTA".

Possible the recent accidents on the Nice bridge highlighted some kind of communication issue, and it was easier to loan them a couple of radios. Betting that i21xxx is the UID range in Charles' system for "other police agencies" then, which would explain the overlap with MSP's UIDs.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Can't hear Charles County from my location but based on the talkgroup name and the activity you describe, it sounds like a talkgroup that police use to talk to a dispatcher to get records checks (wants/warrants, valid license and registration, etc.) which are routine for traffic stops.

Many jurisdictions have a talkgroup called "teletype" or "data" which is the same thing.

But as I said - just a guess.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
troymail: Yeah, I know about dispatch channels and such. The RR DB lists 18880 as an MVA channel, but as far as I know MVA doesn't have a police force. There's a blurb on forums.officers.com that the MVA in Glen Burnie may have a small group of uniformed officers, but they look a fair bit like MSP, just different badges.

One callsign I isolated was "897". Doesn't fit MSP or even MdTA, at least the Nice Bridge group. Can't be DNR, because per the RR Wiki, 8xx units are in Allegany county, and that's too far away, even for a system as pumped up as Charles'....

Have to keep listening. Very sporadic, and this weak signal here has garbled twice when the road location was mentioned.

dtscho

Database Admin
Kumba,

You're probably right - it's most likely MdTA. I probably simply misunderstood them on the radio. The talk about the bridge would seem to confirm.

By the way, I'm the author of that blog...

Dave

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
Kumba,

You're probably right - it's most likely MdTA. I probably simply misunderstood them on the radio. The talk about the bridge would seem to confirm.

By the way, I'm the author of that blog...

Dave

Hah, awesome. I'm still trying to listen to them to pick out some kind of identifier that marks them as MdTA. I was expecting to hear the N-* designator, because that's what is on their plates, but it's possible they might use an internal number. Heard three different traffic stops last night, but the audio digitized right as they stated the road, and it sounds more like "222 South" or "223 South". But that doesn't match up, because both of those state highways are way too far away. Probably 301 South...they favour the southbound side more than the northbound for some reason.

Kumba

Premium Subscriber
It's MdTA. Heard another traffic stop after my last post and the unit ID'ed as "N-9". They also pronounce "Nice" with a short 'i', not a long 'e' as most others do. Dispatch seems to be UID i21388, too. N-9 is UID i21397.

Status
Not open for further replies.