New Collin County P25 System Awarded - Expansion to PAWM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdcomm

Feed Provider
12/19/16
The Collin County Commissioners awarded Motorola the contract to build a 9 site simulcast system for greater Collin County. The new system will be joined with the 9 site simulcast PAWM system to allow for 20 concurrent conversations on the current zone, and 14 concurrent conversations on the new zone. The specs call for 99.5% mobile coverage, and 96.5% handheld radio coverage throughout the county.

Below is the video of the presentation at the meeting. It starts at 12:30 in the video, and has some minor technical details.

Dec 19, 2016 Commissioners Court

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
They just need to make a large regional radio system split into 4 or 5 zones encompassing Dallas, Tarrant, Collin and Dentin counties.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
I've worked with Bobby before. Good guy, not a BS artist.

I'd also add that the PAWM layer will probably be migrated to full Phase II operation sooner than later, so now might be a good time to look at a capable scanner if you live in the area.

rednecknerd

Did they not try that already with this?

I think this is more of regional disaster radio system. If I remember correctly, most of those frequencies are dead air
24/7. They keep the licenses active to keep other users off them in case they are needed.

According to the site info for Dallas, they have 400 portable units assigned to the misc frequencies under that license.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I think it boils down to everybody wanting to have control of their own system. I like what is happening north of Dallas with multiple agencies sharing systems, and now this with a county wide system joining an already established PAWM system.
But then you have head scratchers like Forneys trunked system. Really, city the size of Forney needs a P25 Phase 2 system. .LOL
They could have done what Balch Springs did and just had P25 conventional channels. Would have been more efficient use of resources.
I also thought it would make sense for Forney and Balch Springs to join in on the new Garalnd/Mesquite system. But then again im all for a regional system so what do i know.

rednecknerd

I think it boils down to everybody wanting to have control of their own system. I like what is happening north of Dallas with multiple agencies sharing systems, and now this with a county wide system joining an already established PAWM system.
But then you have head scratchers like Forneys trunked system. Really, city the size of Forney needs a P25 Phase 2 system. .LOL
They could have done what Balch Springs did and just had P25 conventional channels. Would have been more efficient use of resources.
I also thought it would make sense for Forney and Balch Springs to join in on the new Garalnd/Mesquite system. But then again im all for a regional system so what do i know.

I'm with you. I much prefer the regional radio systems like the PAWM and the Fort Worth Regional System. Collectively those two systems currently contain 42 systems. After the PAWM upgrade is put in place, there could be upwards of 75 municipalities across these 2 regional systems.

As long as the current and potential municipalities don't go the route of McKinney and encrypt everything, I'm all for this.

Ironically enough, I really appreciate the fact that Plano has only their car2car and tac channels encrypted. I don't mind that for the most part, though I would prefer it was only the tac channels. But some is better than all.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I completely agree with the E talk. I too am for it but only on a few necessary channels. Primary dispatch isnt one of them.
Yup way more efficient use of spectrum and resources if you can have less small systems and more larger regional systems vs each entity having their own system.

rednecknerd

I'm just glad I made the jump to the TRX-1. I'm looking at getting the TRX-2 for my truck as well so I can have an external antenna instead of using the TRX-1 while mobile.

Not only them, Terrell went online at just about the same time. How you have Kaufman County with their own system (soon if not already, I don't go there anymore).

Forney never had enough traffic for a large trunked system. They could have kept using VHF if they actually built out their system correctly but they half-assed it.

I ordered a Relm KNG2-P800 in anticipation of the Garland/Mesquite system coming online soon.

I've been told to expect to switch around June/July (not a trunked user at this time, PD/FD might switch sooner).

Also heard some old PD radios might be passed to non-public safety. Not sure what they are using but if that includes FD, I know they run a ton of XTS5000s so expect to see some Phase 1 talkgroups even if public safety are Phase 2.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Thought i would bump this.
I believe the frequencies are licensed but does anybody know the status of the sites? are they under construction? been constructed?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thought i would bump this.
I believe the frequencies are licensed but does anybody know the status of the sites? are they under construction? been constructed?
Last time I was up there (for BBQ in McKinney), there was no activity on the new site. May be back up there this Friday. If so, I'll try it again.

The new channels are licensed, 700MHz, instead of using some of the existing system's frequencies.

rdwilson

Feed Provider
I was monitoring PAWM this afternoon with the new fastlane DSD+ and caught CCSO dispatch testing the console. Didn't grab the RID or TG however.

Status
Not open for further replies.