New Essex County P25 system on air

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The town of West Orange is on a very old EDACS system. I wonder if there is any chance they could join the new Essex County system at some point.

Harris, though it's not been really publicly discussed much, is going to be dropping support for EDACS. Agencies nationwide have been working on a transition. Essex County should be nice and clear, my understanding is it's a Harris P25IP system. My source didn't say whether they had gotten the NetworkFirst option for interop.

As to Brick City, Newark's license was approved a while ago, but the system isn't even completely out of the paperwork pile yet last I heard.

Aux9011

Premium Subscriber
West Orange will be looking to upgrade its current edacs system in 3rd/4th quarter 2019 to a Harris P25ip Phase 2 simulcast system. All depends on funding received in its capital expenditure request. System will have Interop capability and dispatch will be in the clear. A TG or 2 may have AES capability but that is still yet to be determined. Stay Tuned!!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
West Orange will be looking to upgrade its current edacs system in 3rd/4th quarter 2019 to a Harris P25ip Phase 2 simulcast system. All depends on funding received in its capital expenditure request. System will have Interop capability and dispatch will be in the clear. A TG or 2 may have AES capability but that is still yet to be determined. Stay Tuned!!

Glad y'all chose Harris. Means it'll actually be audible. :D

ansky

This doesn't surprise me at all. I have been living in West Orange for 10 years and this town loves to spend money. We have one of the highest tax rates in the state. If they wanted Interop they should have just joined the NJICS - Montclair, Verona and South Orange are all bordering towns and are already on there.

markjrenna

Well this (NJICS) would make logical sense. Keep in mind we are dealing with corrupt politicians. I hope you were sitting down as you read this.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I have been living in West Orange for 10 years and this town loves to spend money. We have one of the highest tax rates in the state. If they wanted Interop they should have just joined the NJICS - Montclair, Verona and South Orange are all bordering towns and are already on there.

kevinb77777

I can understand that Ansky. Being a home owner in West Orange for the 27 years, my taxes have tripled for the same services. I am already looking to move out of NJ once I retire in a few years.

If West Orange goes to Phase 2 looks like only my Pro-668 (converted to WS-1080) will receive them. I am not sure why they are even on a trunking system currently. its not that big of a town. probably a smooth talking salesman sold them on a trunking system.

NJICS would make sense for them since a majority of the neighboring towns are already on it. Lets hope they don't go encryption.

Kevin

Pro-668, Pro-651 and Channel Master 5094A Monitenna

Status
Not open for further replies.