• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New G4/5 7/800 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I ordered and received one about two weeks ago for my G5. Have not noticed any appreciable difference in reception. I noticed that it did not sit flush when attached and that didn't make me too happy. It has a very slight gap.
I could probably crank it down but don't want to damage anything.
Hmm, no appreciable gain detected, and it doesn't even mate up well with the pager? Seems like a wasted $15 to me. :cautious:

I'd love to know exactly how an antenna that is the same exact size as the previous antenna manages to allegedly achieve 3 dB of gain. I guess Unication's engineers have figured out how to defeat the laws of physics! :unsure:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to know exactly how an antenna that is the same exact size as the previous antenna manages to allegedly achieve 3 dB of gain. I guess Unication's engineers have figured out how to defeat the laws of physics!
Maybe the blue band gives the antenna its performance boost. :D

Last edited:

dough1590

Received my "new" G5 763-870m Mhz antenna today and installed. On my local Frisco PD and FD frequencies I don't see any changes outside of four steady bars for reception, but when switching over to the Tarrant County SO channels (which is 30 miles away) no longer get random "out of range" alerts. Instead am receiving three constant bars which didn't happen with original antenna. For $15 bucks I'll take the improvement.

Attachments

• G5 New Antenna.jpg
    G5 New Antenna.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 57

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
Received my "new" G5 763-870m Mhz antenna today and installed. On my local Frisco PD and FD frequencies I don't see any changes outside of four steady bars for reception, but when switching over to the Tarrant County SO channels (which is 30 miles away) no longer get random "out of range" alerts. Instead am receiving three constant bars which didn't happen with original antenna. For $15 bucks I'll take the improvement.

Does it fit flush like the original?

dough1590

In my case yes it did with no mod. Comparing the original and the newer vesion I do see where it looks like newer one is a tiny bit shorter on the screw end but fits perfect on my G5.

dough1590

This is a photo with the new antenna attached to give everyone an idea of how it fits. Appears to be flush to me, although it certainly looks different.. almost like it sits loose but it is screwed down tightly.

Attachments

• Unication G5 3.jpg
    Unication G5 3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 134

bob550

Premium Subscriber
This is a photo with the new antenna attached to give everyone an idea of how it fits. Appears to be flush to me, although it certainly looks different.. almost like it sits loose but it is screwed down tightly.
I can see a slight gap. At least as compared to the OEM antenna. Maybe they just couldn't shoehorn the "extra gain" into the original size antenna body :).

county

Premium Subscriber
IMO the ‘gap’ is a non-issue as unlike the original antenna there is an inner skirt on the new one that appears to seal everything.
Performance improvement is noticeable. Previously got out-of-range in my basement. No more.

county

Premium Subscriber
See image below. Orig antenna on left, new on right with red arrow pointing to the raised ridge that performs seal.
24BB6828-B3A0-43F8-80B0-093AF3892D67.png

bob550

Premium Subscriber
See image below. Orig antenna on left, new on right with red arrow pointing to the raised ridge that performs seal.
Ok, so the base of the SMA looks to be identical to the original, and not as it appeared in pictures. Mine's been delivered so I guess I'll see when I get home later.

markjrenna

Great news on the enhanced reception. Going to order a couple from Ray's. Thanks!

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
I might be in the minority but I don't care for the gap and believe it was a manufacturing error or just poor quality control. Otherwise, we would see it in other applications.

N6ML

I'd love to know exactly how an antenna that is the same exact size as the previous antenna manages to allegedly achieve 3 dB of gain. I guess Unication's engineers have figured out how to defeat the laws of physics! :unsure:

Gain isn't just about the amount of metal - how that metal is arranged can drastically affect the *pattern*. They may have come up with a new arrangement that gets more gain at angles that are more beneficial. In other words, "size isn't everything - it's how you use it" ... or something ;) It'd be interesting to see plots for the old and new versions (showing where the 3dB improvement is actually observed), but that's probably not going to happen....

markjrenna

I was told this gain is appreciable and was for Michigan near Canada. Has improved reception for them. So it will help us all.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I was told this gain is appreciable and was for Michigan near Canada. Has improved reception for them. So it will help us all.
You're saying this antenna was designed to specifically improve reception in Michigan near the Canadian border? Does that mean the rest of us are screwed?

markjrenna

You're saying this antenna was designed to specifically improve reception in Michigan near the Canadian border? Does that mean the rest of us are screwed?
No not screwed. It will benefit us all for the 700/800 MHz range.

Status
Not open for further replies.