• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New G4/5 7/800 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6ML

Perhaps the next version will be optimised to catch signals that bounce off the wall on the southern border :ROFLMAO:

GTO_04

man, people with OCD are really going to have a hard time with that gap.
I am OCD :), but I do not have a problem with that gap. I just happened to notice that the original stubby antenna has a gap too. Good catch by @county pointing out the raised edge that forms a seal. I did not receive my new antenna yet just ordered it.

I have switched back to the original antenna from a longer Motorola antenna which made the G5 out of balance and too easy to tip over on my desk. It seemed to work OK though.

GTO_04

Last edited:

glimerman

Premium Subscriber
just ordered mine from rays ,i want to give this a shot i moniter 3 p25s and 2 come in perfect one goes out of range sometimes where i sit my pager . outside and driveing they all work perfect so this little gain may be the trick will report back

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Got mine today and there is a very small gap. I'm usually pretty anal about this type of stuff but the gap doesn't bother me. The interior skirt shown in an earlier post mitigates that gap. Testing the new antenna on a single site shows an overall improved RSSI over the old antenna. It's hard to come up with a specific number due to a wavering signal at my location, but I'd say +3 to +5 db is a good improvement. Although reception with the OEM antenna was OK in my aluminum-sided house, I'll take all the db's I can get.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, perhaps an o-ring or rubber/silicone washer might help close that gap.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought, perhaps an o-ring or rubber/silicone washer might help close that gap.
The O-ring would have to be extremely thin, or it would create a bulge, or maybe even stop the antenna from connecting. Anyway, the skirt mentioned earlier is not far in from the outside shell of the antenna.

wa2chj

I agree. I’m seeing 1-2 Signal Strength bars increase on a weak signal system. Does anyone know what the bars are worth each in uV or dB on a G5/VHF on the 7/800 band?

brucebuck1010

Premium Subscriber
I got my new antenna for my G4. I listen to MARCS-IP in western Ohio. When I listen to fringe counties, I absolutely see a single bar increase in signal strength over the original antenna. I believe that the inner lip seals things up okay - never mind the gap!

N6ML

Does anyone know what the bars are worth each in uV or dB on a G5/VHF on the 7/800 band?

From a bit of experimentation, with the V1.20 beta firmware, using a step attenuator and external antenna, it appears is might be:

4 bars: > -90
3 bars: -100 - -90
2 bars -110 - -100
1 bar: -120 - -110
no bars: < -120

although the bars and the RSSI on the diagnostic screen don't update at the same time.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Go to the information screen. While on the screen push the center ”toggle” button and then red, red, white, blue, yellow, red, then the center button again.

Center 224132 Center if you look at the buttons from left to right.

N6ML

Interesting. I was a bit worried that if I got the colour-combination wrong, the G5 might self-destruct :ROFLMAO:

I'm getting -94 dBm with the stock antenna inside my office, and the same on an outdoor antenna, which is normally MUCH stronger. SDS100 shows -90's with the G5's antenna and -70's on the outside one... so I'm still not buying the G5's numbers for a "strong" signal ....

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Go to the information screen. While on the screen push the center ”toggle” button and then red, red, white, blue, yellow, red, then the center button again.

Center 224132 Center if you look at the buttons from left to right.

Attachments

• G5.jpg
    G5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 133

w6hp

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting -94 dBm with the stock antenna inside my office, and the same on an outdoor antenna, which is normally MUCH stronger. SDS100 shows -90's with the G5's antenna and -70's on the outside one... so I'm still not buying the G5's numbers for a "strong" signal

All this time I thought the lower the number the better.

Last edited:

N6ML

All this time I thought the lower the number the better.

Depends on how you look at it ... these are negative numbers - supposedly relative to a milliWatt at the antenna input, I suppose. More negative means weaker....

Status
Not open for further replies.