New GRE psr500 scanner arrived friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

westmorelnd

I had goten away from scanning several years ago when my area went digital but after much reading I finally ordered a new psr500 off of Ebay. It came in friday and when I started reading the manual my 1st thought was what the crap have I got into as this will take the whole weekend, but I soon discovered the ARC500 and combined it with Radio Reference and Bam ! I had this thing programed with time to kill before taking the family out for supper. Ive been tweaking the led and other settings to my taste this weekend but programing couldnt get any better and the led is an awesome option to have. Great scanner only draw back so far is I do wish the case had a more solid quality look and feel.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The 500 is a good radio. I have enjoyed mine, but there have been some case physical integrity issues.

Just make good use of the belt clip, do not try and force it over something.

Be sure to spend a little time, and program in freqs that might be useful in an emergency, that might not be used daily. They don't take up many resources, and can be priceless when in use.

puzzleriddle

I've had mine since DEC 2009, GREAT scanner, no problems what soever with it. Bought it & the soft leather case from Scanner master!... Best hand held I have had in 20 years:). also if ya planning to use base a lot get the portable scanner mount also from Scanner master Great accsesory !!!:0

westmorelnd

Hi ! I looked at the case on scanner master but buyer reviews were showing an issue with rivets or something on the inside scratching the scanner. Have you had this problem ? Thanks

Drafin

+1 on buying a leather case for it.

I bought the hard leather case from scanner master (link at the top of the page) and have had no problems with the case or button wear.

Well I digress, I have had one minor issue, I take it in and out of the case quite a bit to change batteries (I don't charge them in the radio) and sliding it in and out of the case has caused some tiny little wear marks on the edge of the plastic. But nothing major.

Draf

SCPD

QRT
Contrary to what the Uniden forum believes the PSR 500 is an excellent scanner. You made a good choice.:wink:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Contrary to what the Uniden forum believes the PSR 500 is an excellent scanner. You made a good choice.:wink:

You got that right. In my area my PSR-500 has much much better digital audio than my Uniden scanners.
Bingo to both comments, outstanding Digital decode in my several P25 trunking systems.

PSR-800 is better on Statewide VHF P25 trunking system only because one can load all 50 sites in it's DB. The GRE 500 family will only allow 32 CC's and ACC's per TSYS.

KC9NEG

Contrary to generalizations often made in [insert other radio brand] forums, it's been my experience that different models, across different brands, can have superior performance when monitoring any given system. Case in point: my PSR-500 and PSR-600 outperformed my BCD396XT when monitoring Indy MECA. My HomePatrol-1 outperforms the PSR-800 (which I returned) on the same system. YMMV, but these are my UNbiased observations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.