New Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the Amateur side of things, but certainly not new to RadioReference or the two way world, but wanted to drop in and say hello to everyone & should start becoming more active in this subforum as well. I passed my Tech exam right at two weeks ago & received my callsign back on Tuesday, Sept 6.

Didn't see anywhere else to post this as far as introducing myself to the folks here in the Amateur subforums. For those that I may have talked with before here in the forums my screen name was previously FD5722. The request to change my screen name to my callsign was approved earlier today.

KM4WLV

Congrats..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! So far all the guys I've talked to here on our local 2m machine have been really supportive, and I have plans to get involved with my local club. Plus several of them I've known for years from my time in public safety, with one of those guys being my former supervisor when I was an installer at the Troop E Radio Shop for the North Carolina Highway Patrol.

wrath

Well then we just go door to door to get that drop in the bucket, when I got my ticket we were at just over 300000 so we aren't doing bad over the last 25 years, considering people think we are extinct or going to go there because of cellphones , put that in your note 7 and smoke it , oh it burned down already SORRY!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

KM4WLV

Well then we just go door to door to get that drop in the bucket, when I got my ticket we were at just over 300000 so we aren't doing bad over the last 25 years, considering people think we are extinct or going to go there because of cellphones , put that in your note 7 and smoke it , oh it burned down already SORRY!

Comment of the day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Something about this poster sounds very familiar.....

Congrats and welcome to the licensed world!

Marshall KE4ZNR

Token

25 years ago, 1991, the total of US licensed hams was well over 500000, not 300000. The number surpassed 300000 sometime in the mid 1970's, over 40 years ago.

20 years ago, 1996, there were about 670000 licensed hams, that means that in the last 20 years we have only picked up about 71000 hams. At that rate to get the remaining 59000 would take quite a while, about 6 to 7 years on the current trend, a trend that could be a short term bump and not really representative.

The number of ham operators in the US actually declined from 2002 to 2007 (about 28000 licenses lost in that 5 years), so it has not been a continuous growth.

As an indicator of what can happen, look at Japan. Since 1996, in the time our licensed hams have grown by roughly 71000, the number of licensed Japanese hams has grown by more than 500000, half a million. In 1996 Japan had about 2880433 hams, today they have over 3420000 hams. Over 4 times as many hams, in a nation with far less than half the population. In a nation with the same technology level as ours, and the same challenges to engage the youth and hold their attention.

T!

Last edited:

KD8DVR

25 years ago, 1991, the total of US licensed hams was well over 500000, not 300000. The number surpassed 300000 sometime in the mid 1970's, over 40 years ago.

20 years ago, 1996, there were about 670000 licensed hams, that means that in the last 20 years we have only picked up about 71000 hams. At that rate to get the remaining 59000 would take quite a while, about 6 to 7 years on the current trend, a trend that could be a short term bump and not really representative.

The number of ham operators in the US actually declined from 2002 to 2007 (about 28000 licenses lost in that 5 years), so it has not been a continuous growth.

As an indicator of what can happen, look at Japan. Since 1996, in the time our licensed hams have grown by roughly 71000, the number of licensed Japanese hams has grown by more than 500000, half a million. In 1996 Japan had about 2880433 hams, today they have over 3420000 hams. Over 4 times as many hams, in a nation with far less than half the population. In a nation with the same technology level as ours, and the same challenges to engage the youth and hold their attention.

T!
Now there are over 700000 amateurs. Www.hamdata.com has a very good breakdown of activity and growth.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Token

Now there are over 700000 amateurs. Hamdata Callsign Server has a very good breakdown of activity and growth.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Yes, if you look at post #9 you will see the current number of about 741000. And if you add the numbers I posted, about 670000 in 1996 plus the roughly 71000 increase since then you get the same number, about 741000 today.

T!

wrath

Well sadly then my memory really sucks ! , I sincerely apologize but considering since then I have had a TBI, Cardiac arrest , coma and most recently a Stroke and Encephalopathy I am doing good, my ability to do math does now require aides exceeding the quantity of my fingers and toes , I was appalled when I found out that they give kindergarten students the use of calculators right up to the point of my TBI and then I needed to relearn to do simple things like tell time, and what days, weeks, and years were. It took my buddies nearly three years to convince me to get back on the air , because all though I was told it's pretty normal, I could not accept that every three words was a cuss , it was like I needed to go back to elementary school, but happily this strange effect was kinda self limiting and the potty mouth resolved .

Status
Not open for further replies.