• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

New Hearing Aid Campaign for the BCD536

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidPandora

I have noticed that the 536 Has Big Issues at hearing everything... I don't do Trunking so get that out of the way..

Volume:14 Squelch 2

I have a Grand total of maybe 12 Channels that I listen to day and night... small hillbilly town... Anyway... I have the Alert lights on just for the heck of it and every day but not constantly the 536 Quits scanning and Flashes the Alert light! HEY I FOUND SOMETHING.. But there is Nothing but Silence.. the Squelch doesn't always Open.. I have according to the Sig Strength ALL BARS.. I have this big top of the line new Full wave antenna on the roof... All working Perfectly.. Live less than two Blocks from the Local Dispatch for the Valley.. and all the local Deputy 5's all hit my radio just as hard as the base... I can and frequently hear Stations in other towns 40 miles away.. Perfectly... The 536 seems to have a mind of it's own and just doesn't feel like talking Often. it's as if it's Squelch doesn't know what it's Volume is doing... Iffin ya know what I mean... Daydreaming? who knows.. BUT if you reach up there when the alert light is flashing and turn that Squelch OFF you find out there are people talking 1 Block away... and that little 90 Dollar uniden scanner I got 10 years ago started talking the second they did.. but the 536 is not LISTENING!... It would be so COOL Mr. UPMan if you could be so kind and address this issue.. If it's not always listening then wifi isn't worth much is it.. so I think this should get up high on the list of things to do.. One heck of a good Receiver when it's paying attention to the air waves.... darn good one... THANK YOU :confused:

Boatanchor

If possible, can you post a video of the two scanners sitting side by side & monitoring the same systems?
Another poster has done this showing his 'old' PSR600 receiving P25 traffic just fine while his new 536HP, sitting on top of the PSR600, just ignores it.

whsbuss

If possible, can you post a video of the two scanners sitting side by side & monitoring the same systems?
Another poster has done this showing his 'old' PSR600 receiving P25 traffic just fine while his new 536HP, sitting on top of the PSR600, just ignores it.
Yes it would (hopefully) give UPMan an actual example to see that there is/are issues.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I suspect there are other unseen factors at work. Lots of people (myself included) came from 10-20 year old scanners to this one, which is like going from a 1973 VW bug to a 2014 Prius. They are both still round looking little cars with 4 wheels and the usual pedals, but that's really where the similarities between them END.

Based on what you said, it sound to me like Close Call or Close Call DND is on. Turn it off and while you're at it make sure you're scanning ONLY your favorites list and not the whole RRDB too. I bet you'll find that if you keep the scanner focused on just those few frequencies it'll work just fine. Let's try some basic troubleshooting here before we start telling UPMan he needs to fix things.

-AZ

LiquidPandora

Did you try what I suggested? I'm just curious if that was it.

-AZ
You where not even close... I'm sorry... But like I said thank you for your input...

I don't use Close Call for one thing.. and I have done my home work and I am in no way NEW to this kind of stuff.. I merely Referenced a OLD system I had as an example... nothing more and it does not indicate A novice mistake

You have a nice day... :D

AZScanner

Look, I'm just trying to help. I've worked in a number of support roles over the years and if I had a nickel for every time someone said "this thing isn't working right" when in reality it was, well, I'd have the market cornered on nickels.

Let's recap here for a second:
You haven't told us what system this is. Or even what type it is. Or what band.
You haven't told us how specifically you have the Alerts programmed.
You haven't told us what your other scanner is other than it cost you 90 dollars and it was made by Uniden.
You haven't posted a video of the two side by side to help troubleshoot the issue despite the suggestions of TWO other posters in this thread.
You really haven't told us jack diddly squat but you want UPMan to magically appear out of nowhere and fix the problem.
Do you see what I'm getting at?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but this is like towing your car to the dealer and complaining that it won't start only for the mechanic to later discover it didn't have any gas in it. A little basic troubleshooting can make a world of difference and save you a ton of headaches. I still contend your scanner works just fine. Why? Because mine does. I find it a bit hard to believe that I got the only good x36 scanner and find it alot easier to believe that most of the issues we're hearing about are operator induced. I even found a "bug" myself that turned out to be me setting something up wrong on the scanner.

If you'd like us to help you fix your problem, you're going to have to give us more information to go on. If you'd prefer to wait for UPMan to solve the problem instead, then I think you're going to be in for a very long wait. It's up to you what you want to do, but based on what you've said so far I don't see him popping in here with the solution any time soon.

-AZ

markab

You where not even close... I'm sorry... But like I said thank you for your input...

I don't use Close Call for one thing.. and I have done my home work and I am in no way NEW to this kind of stuff.. I merely Referenced a OLD system I had as an example... nothing more and it does not indicate A novice mistake

You have a nice day... :D
Have you tried turning on Attenuation... You may be overloading your front end.
You should also try having the scanner hold on a particular dept. and see if that works.
This may help to narrow down the problem.

I'm not disputing the fact that you're having a problem with you scanner but it certainly is not happening to all of us. I bought one of the first ones available in Canada and its working like a charm. And I'm sure there are many more of us out there equally happy with this scanners performance. Perhaps with a bit of detective work we can help rectify your problem.

Mark

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If there was no issue with the x36HP's why would Uniden implement the "Headphone campaign"?

Why would they issue a new firmware update?

Did they do these things because they had nothing better to do?

markab

Hmmm...

If there was no issue with the x36HP's why would Uniden implement the "Headphone campaign"?

Dont know if your comments were directed at me but in case they were I never said there were no issues with the scanner, just that mine works like a charm, as for the headpĥone problem my unit may very well have it,t I dont know. I never use headphones with a mobile scanner. For Those that do Uniden has admitted there is a problem and is addressing it. And as for firmware updates, they offer help for the ones who are experiencing some problems.

Mark

JoeyC

AZScanner you are right on track. There are so many factors involved in getting things to work just as one expects in these new breed of scanners just about everyone has problems at first. Short of seeing exactly just how someone programs their scanner and what options are turned on or off at any given time, in combination with other factors such as antenna, location and personal expectations, it is impossible to troubleshoot problems with as few clues as many people bring to these forums in their threads - and then to cop an attitude when you do try to help. Geez. I guess we are all supposed to be mind readers, UPMan especially.

JoeyC

Who said Uniden hasn't acknowledged there are problems? :confused:

AZScanner

True. But this particular problem doesn't sound like a bad headphone jack. To be honest, it sounds like something was overlooked during set up. But since the OP refuses to elaborate on the problem, I guess we'll never know. He's waiting for a "magic fix" from UPMan to resolve his issue instead. I say good luck with that.

To address valid problems that have been reported. Emphasis on valid. I think things would move along a little quicker in that regard if so many "issues" that turned out to be "user error" stopped being reported as "issues" that UPMan needs to "fix". But what do I know. :roll:

-AZ

blackmonte

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that the 536 Has Big Issues at hearing everything... I don't do Trunking so get that out of the way..

Volume:14 Squelch 2

I have a Grand total of maybe 12 Channels that I listen to day and night... small hillbilly town... Anyway... I have the Alert lights on just for the heck of it and every day but not constantly the 536 Quits scanning and Flashes the Alert light! HEY I FOUND SOMETHING.. But there is Nothing but Silence.. the Squelch doesn't always Open.. I have according to the Sig Strength ALL BARS.. I have this big top of the line new Full wave antenna on the roof... All working Perfectly.. Live less than two Blocks from the Local Dispatch for the Valley.. and all the local Deputy 5's all hit my radio just as hard as the base... I can and frequently hear Stations in other towns 40 miles away.. Perfectly... The 536 seems to have a mind of it's own and just doesn't feel like talking Often. it's as if it's Squelch doesn't know what it's Volume is doing... Iffin ya know what I mean... Daydreaming? who knows.. BUT if you reach up there when the alert light is flashing and turn that Squelch OFF you find out there are people talking 1 Block away... and that little 90 Dollar uniden scanner I got 10 years ago started talking the second they did.. but the 536 is not LISTENING!... It would be so COOL Mr. UPMan if you could be so kind and address this issue.. If it's not always listening then wifi isn't worth much is it.. so I think this should get up high on the list of things to do.. One heck of a good Receiver when it's paying attention to the air waves.... darn good one... THANK YOU :confused:

Your not alone. Same issues with mine. Constantly misses the first 1-2 seconds of a set priority channel that is on a conventional analog frequency. And sometimes it will miss a complete 5+ second transmission. This happens while it is freely scanning my favorites list. It also happens sometimes while you have that channel in hold mode. The alert light lights up, signal bar goes full but no sound for a couple of seconds. I can't say it does it on a P25 priority channel because I don't have another scanner that does trunking to compare with. There is definately an issue because of other post describing the same thing. I think UPMan had suggested in one post to turn the P25 waiting time down to 0 instead of the default 400ms for the conventional analog channel. I have done that and it has made no difference. I know uniden has their hands full now with this being a new release with a few bugs that has surfaced and their focused on the "headphone jack issue" right now. As long as they address the issues their CUSTOMERS are reporting I don't have a problem paying $600. If they are not addressed then that's a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Are the two scanners programmed identically? What's the x36 doing when the older scanner stops on a transmission? Does it stop too or keep scanning? Please guys, give us something more to go on besides "it's broken".

I'm going to conduct an experiment tonight. I'll put my 436 side by side with an old SC230 I have, scanning ONLY an identical set of analog frequencies and post a video of the results. Thanks to the magic of Favorites Lists, this will be super easy to do. If this is truly a problem, I think my video will prove it. If not, then it's got to be something with the set up or the systems being scanned or something else we haven't thought of yet. Agreed?

If this is a valid problem, I want to help Paul and Uniden figure it out. If not then I want to help you guys solve it on your end. In either case, watch this thread tonight for a video side by side comparison. I've been meaning to do this anyway.

-AZ

blackmonte

Premium Subscriber
LiquidPandora
Just curious. What is your last 4 of s/n? Doesn't have to be exactly the # just an idea if it's near mine. Mine is <600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markab

Thanks...

Are the two scanners programmed identically? What's the x36 doing when the older scanner stops on a transmission? Does it stop too or keep scanning? Please guys, give us something more to go on besides "it's broken".

I'm going to conduct an experiment tonight. I'll put my 436 side by side with an old SC230 I have, scanning ONLY an identical set of analog frequencies and post a video of the results. Thanks to the magic of Favorites Lists, this will be super easy to do. If this is truly a problem, I think my video will prove it. If not, then it's got to be something with the set up or the systems being scanned or something else we haven't thought of yet. Agreed?

If this is a valid problem, I want to help Paul and Uniden figure it out. If not then I want to help you guys solve it on your end. In either case, watch this thread tonight for a video side by side comparison. I've been meaning to do this anyway.

-AZ
Hi AZ,
Thanks for offering your help. I tried a quick test myself last night on a P25 type II smartzone system (as some were experiencing problems with it). I set my scanner to hold on a particular TG and recorded an hour worth of transmissions (approx. 100). I then reviewed it for any missing or partial responses. There were none. I will try and setup a side by side test with my 536 and my psr 500 this weekend and post the results...time permitting.

Mark

dispatcher812

Hi AZ,
Thanks for offering your help. I tried a quick test myself last night on a P25 type II smartzone system (as some were experiencing problems with it). I set my scanner to hold on a particular TG and recorded an hour worth of transmissions (approx. 100). I then reviewed it for any missing or partial responses. There were none. I will try and setup a side by side test with my 536 and my psr 500 this weekend and post the results...time permitting.

Mark
Thank you for doing this experiment. I have a P25 Type II Smartzone system in my area and unfortunately I do not have a scanner I can run side by side.

Roveer

I've had the same thing happen to me with my Pro 106 sitting next to my 536HP. Scanning limited to just 1 P25 system (about 10 channels worth) not the whole databaes. CC not turned on. Can't say it alerted as I didn't have that set up but I know my 106 would have whole multisentence transmissions that the 536 would miss. At first I thought it was a deficient antenna because I was getting garbled P25 audio then I learned that this is a known issue. I do know that my signal stregth shows as full bars.

Guess I'm going to do some more side by side looking for more instances.

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.