New here! Few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalGear753

Hello, I am new here. I have had the interest in scanners for a little over a year now. I currently have two scanners that I am familiar with. The first is a handheld brick Pro-62, and a base Pro-2042. They're both just VHF and UHF as far as I know, I can't pick much up, especially here in Chesapeake where practically everything interesting is digital. Sooo...

I now have the Uniden BCD996XT on the way. I'm BEYOND excited, because I've wanted to listen to digital trunking systems around here for a while. In fact, I'm so excited for it that I got the ARCXT software as a download instead of the CD and proceeded to download all of the frequencies and talkgroups from RR that I wanted to hear when I got it. I've included a screenshot with one of the groups expanded. When I get it is everything going to be ready to transfer? I heard something about the Quick Keys, and so I read the easy to read manual, and I feel stupid because I don't quite understand how they would work on the scanner. Also, is it possible that I can just go through to the system, and pick a talkgroup to specifically listen to without scanning?

EDIT: I would also like to know if there is a way to power my scanner if the power gets knocked out to my house. (i.e. in an emergency)

Attachments

• arcct.jpg
    arcct.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

EP204

I have been scanning for about 3 years and am not familiar with those two models but for the scanners I use yes, if you select the frequency or talk group then you only pick that one up.

MetalGear753

I have been scanning for about 3 years and am not familiar with those two models but for the scanners I use yes, if you select the frequency or talk group then you only pick that one up.

They're both ancient Radioshack models lol. Also, thank you for your reply. I am worried I will be listening to many conversations at once instead of a particular one lol.

MFD4305

Two Answers

Hi MG,
I have the 996T [not the XT] and I use FreeScan, not ARCXT, but I think I can give you a little help, at least.
Quick Keys I really can't imagine using your scanner without Quick Keys assigned and enabled; otherwise you'd always be scanning every system. Using the example from your screen capture, I would assign a System Quick Key to the VA Beach system and Group Quick Keys to Fire, EMS, Lifeguards, etc. That way you can choose to monitor VA Beach (and your other systems) or not, and you can decide whether to monitor 'Lifeguards' (in January?) or not any time the scanner's on.
One Talk Group Yes, it's easy to 'hold' on a single talk group for as long as you like, just as we used to 'hold' on a single channel with older, non-DMA scanners. Check the users guide for how to.
Enjoy!

MetalGear753

Wow. Thank you for your help. I think I get the quick group keys now..

Also the lifeguards one is in there just because it was with all of the rest on the site. :p I went a little overboard haha.

I have everything set up now, it should work. I can only have 10 group keys, correct? Is it like a bank on older scanners?
(thanks for being so helpful)
Here's a screenie:

Attachments

• arcxt.jpg
    arcxt.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

RadioDaze

I would also like to know if there is a way to power my scanner if the power gets knocked out to my house. (i.e. in an emergency)

A battery backup for a computer (Uninterruptible Power Supply) would probably power it for up to a couple of hours. Or you could hook a couple of 6-volt lantern batteries together in series, and hook the supplied wiring harness up to it.

W2NJS

The price of some UPS units has come down to the $40 range at places like Micro Center when they put the things on sale. You have two choices. You can use a UPS and plug your 120VAC cable into it and it'll switch automatically when the power goes off, or you can get a 12 volt battery and build your own system, perhaps with a charger, changeover relay etc. etc. The UPS, if purchased at the "right" price is the best bet, because it'll be the less expensive route.

Status
Not open for further replies.