R8600 New IC-R8600 v1.34 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

swman

Icom released new IC-R8600 "v1.34 firmware" on April 19, 2019 :

USA 02 Version Link Here

Changes in v1.34 firmware
• The MAC Address item is added in the Set mode.
• The File Split function that can record the received audio, depending on the squelch open or closed status, is improved.
• The Noise Reduction function is improved.
• Fixed an issue where the RX audio level may change when the bass level is increased.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Haven't we learned in the radio hobby to never say never? Foregone conclusions aside, it is impossible to forecast the where, what, and why. I wish my R8600 had DMR coverage, but then I wish, also, that my SDS scanners could decode encryption. Doesn't hurt to dream :)

JD
kf4anc

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Nope, I don't see it happening either but then again, a lot has changed since 2011 when that news release was published.

The fact that it hasn't changed since 2011 is what has me believing they are firmly entrenched in the decision.

Hit_Factor

Why would Icom want to compete in a market with CCRs (baofeng, Tytera)? I had the opportunity to program some md-380/390 radios and found each of them varied wildly in sensitivity and selectivity. When monitoring DMR freqs they often choked on decoding DMR signals. Requiring a reboot to start monitoring again. I gave 2 away and threw away the third one.

Look at Motorola and Hytera, seems like they are always in court. Just another barrier to entry in my view.

Don't get me wrong, it would be very nice if my R30 was DMR capable.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Look at Motorola and Hytera, seems like they are always in court. Just another barrier to entry in my view.

Motorola and Hytera are in court over MotoTRBO, which is a proprietary modification of DMR, not the open standard DMR. Icom is a participant in the open standard development and as such could make a DMR any time they wanted to, it just appears they don't want to.

intermod

This has nothing to do with competition with CCRs - these are different market segments. The 8600 is in the mid-priced, desktop ("knob-based") wideband hi-performance receiver market. Right now, there are limited high-performance receivers for DMR Tier II. The AOR-DV1 has mixed reviews, and the SDS200 is in a different market (as has a garbage* receiver from an RF standpoint).

From one perspective, ICOM is missing a major opportunity, IMHO. Or, if they are operating like the (old) Motorola, they already have the DMR model but will not release until a competitor comes out with a solid competing product to it that (they hope and pray) lacks DMR Tier II. But they risk someone coming out with a solid receiver with DMR as they have waited so long. But I will admit, I am not sure who is going to step up. The AOR sales have been really poor, but is it the poor reviews or lack of demand? A little of both?

What do I use now to decode DMR promiscuously in high RF environments? Nothing really exists in a single product. I have three Moto XPR4500 radios (UHF 1 & 2, VHF) and a 800/900 MHz XPR4580 radios I use exclusively for receiving. I use these when I need high dynamic range/good intermod (low susceptibility) with good sensitivity. I supplement these with two Hytera MD782 models (front panel programmable but susceptible receivers), and an Anytone 868 with a few massive bandpass filters. This all costs about $3800. This all could be replaced with a single R8600 with DMR for about $3,000.

Why would Icom want to compete in a market with CCRs (baofeng, Tytera)? I had the opportunity to program some md-380/390 radios and found each of them varied wildly in sensitivity and selectivity. When monitoring DMR freqs they often choked on decoding DMR signals. Requiring a reboot to start monitoring again. I gave 2 away and threw away the third one.

Don't get me wrong, it would be very nice if my R30 was DMR capable.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

radio3353

If Icom were to add DMR, would the current R8600 become obsolete or will a firmware update to the R8600 add the DMR capability? Thanks.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It's not a technical issue, it's a proprietary and monetary issue, from what I understand. Icom will not pay the licensing fee for DMR. Is that what it boils down to, or is that incorrect?

prcguy

Its not a money thing, Icom will simply not promote modes that compete with their product line. That would be DMR, Fusion, etc.

It's not a technical issue, it's a proprietary and monetary issue, from what I understand. Icom will not pay the licensing fee for DMR. Is that what it boils down to, or is that incorrect?

intermod

Competition with their IDAS (NXDN?) line may be the issue, but its hard for me to believe the amateur market, and in particular, the market for those willing to buy a specialized non-trunking receiver for $3K would have any appreciable impact from a dealer perception standpoint. If they started producing commercial DMR portable and mobiles, or amateur, then the dealers may get offended.

Kenwood has already been promoting DMR in Europe for the last 3? years, and can supply DMR gear in north american now. I don't believe this has has am impact on their NXDN product. Super-narrow NXDN has its own merits, particularly if you have limited radio spectrum, so it stands on its own. I would think IDAS could as well.

There are DMR licensing costs as well as ongoing development resources needed to keep on top of the ETSI standard - I wonder if they marked up the price a $100-200 or so whether the sales volume could cover this cost - $200 on a $3K purchase is not that significant.

Sigh.

My $$ are still in search of a good DMR receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.